Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How can i change my ip

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fast_learner

fast_learner

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,
How come i can change my ip adresss? i addicted to mirc chatting and sometimes ppls bann my ip address for no reason. so can anybody help me out here by telling me in detail how to change my ip adress
im using cable internet, win xp and using d-link router.
thanx

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo.

Changing your IP address for the purpose of getting around chat room bans is just not *right*. Most likely, you will be banned again immediately just on the principle that you "snuck" around their original ban. I have been a regular chatter in MANY chat rooms on several different networks, and people are never banned for "no reason". I'm sure the rooms you were banned from had SOME type of reason. Even if it is something you don't agree with, the reasons don't have to make sense to you. It is up to the owners/Moderators of each particular room whom they do and do not wish to have there.

fast_learner

fast_learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi kat,
thanx for replying.
but still is there any way that i can change my ip not for only chatting purpose.
so anybody who knows how to do it pls help me out here.
thanx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
changing your computer's ip address won't help getting around an IRC ban anyway...they don't ban by machine ip they ban by isp IP...so unless you know how to spoof you aint getting back in

fast_learner

fast_learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
confused :tazz: ;)
there is two kinds of ip?????
ISP IP and MACHINE IP???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you computer has an ip address assigned to it by your isp when you connect to the internet. this ipaddress allows you to get to your isp's routers...this ip address is then encapsulated in one of theirs for transport across the internet.....the address used in irc for banning is not the one assigned to your machine

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's a little more complicated than that...but you don't need to be trying to get around the ban anyway

fast_learner

fast_learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi dsenette,
thanx for all the info's
so there's no way that i can change my ip?? :tazz: ;) ;)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there's ways you can change it but.....any of the legal ones won't help you get past the ban...and we can't help you with the others

fast_learner

fast_learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ohhh
okz thanx for replying

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

changing  your computer's ip address won't help getting around an IRC ban anyway...they don't ban by machine ip they ban by isp IP...so unless you know how to spoof you aint getting back in

View Post

Not always true. There are many different kinds of bans that can be used. You can ban the hostmask, the nick itself, the ip, an isp, and even a country, and there are a few more. So yes, depending on the ban you can get back in assuming they didn't ban the isp or country (btw in order to be able to ban an isp or country an IRCop would have to have set that ban. Though those bans don't usually happen unless you are spamming the network.) Now, I can't tell you how to get passed a ban, but yes, it is possible.

B

fast_learner

fast_learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Besttechie,
thanx for replying
i figured it out its not for spamming and stuff and its not a country bann becuase my friend goes over there too and hes using the same internet provider as i am using.
so i guess its just the ip. so will pls help me how to change it
thanx :tazz: ;) :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
we cannot help you get around any kind of ban...if you were banned you were banned for a reason...just wait till it get's lifted or find another chatroom

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

we cannot help you get around any kind of ban...if you were banned you were banned for a reason...just wait till it get's lifted or find another chatroom

View Post

Right. We can not and will not help you evade a ban.

B

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
fast_learner, we won't help you to get around the ban. Please don't start a new topic for this.

Thread closed.