Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WebRebates, PolAll1, Adbanner, etc.

• Please log in to reply

IreLynx

IreLynx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So, I'm finally at the end of my rope here. I spent yesterday running Ad-aware, Spybot, and Anti-Vir. Eventually they started finishing with clean scans, which apparently meant nothing lol, since I was still getting popups with every browser window I opened. I went through this morning & cleaned out every temp directory, including internet temp files, and rand all three programs. They found a bunch of junk that had apparently re-invaded my system...so I got rid of everything it picked up. Some things I had to get rid of webrebates manually since it wasn't picking up everything that went along with it. I also noticed alpoll1 under the root section of the registry, as well as adbanner.adbanner & adbanner.1, and I also noticed gotobar.gotobar

I had 12 additional processes running in the background, and I fixed those problems earlier, so I don't currently have any "out of the ordinary" user processes running. I have a vaio laptop with a d-link wireless card, so a couple processes are related to the card & touchpad. I do have bits and pieces of SP2 installed (not by choice), but I won't install the full SP2 since it conflicts with alot of the programs I need for class, mainly 3ds max.

So anyways...I emptied all of the temp directories again, since an infected exe was found in one, Spybot, ad-aware, and anti-vir are all coming up clean...but I still have pop-ups. So I've finally given up & decided I should get some help lol. I go to college online, so as you can imagine, the pop-ups can get very annoying while looking through classes & researching lol.

I followed the link to get hi-jack this, and this is what I got:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:02:23 PM, on 10/28/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ICO.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\Air Utility\AirCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server 20\appsrv\PicAppSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerPanel\Program\PcfMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKWnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\My Stuff\Misc\Misc\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: LocalNRDObj Class - {00320615-B6C2-40A6-8F99-F1C52D674FAD} - C:\WINDOWS\localNRD.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\adobe\acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {2CDE1A7D-A478-4291-BF31-E1B4C16F92EB} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HKSERV.EXE] C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanupProgram] C:\Sonysys\cleanup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link Air Utility] C:\Program Files\D-Link\Air Utility\AirCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCSService] C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-aware] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-aware.exe" +c
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: PowerPanel.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
You may wish to print out a copy of these instructions to follow while you complete this procedure. Please move Hijack This to a permanent folder (i.e. C:\HJT). This ensures backups are saved and accessible.

Please reboot into safe mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?.
Be sure you're able to view hidden files, and remove the following files:

C:\WINDOWS\localNRD.dll

Next, please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: LocalNRDObj Class - {00320615-B6C2-40A6-8F99-F1C52D674FAD} - C:\WINDOWS\localNRD.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {2CDE1A7D-A478-4291-BF31-E1B4C16F92EB} - (no file)
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople

Reboot your PC.

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log, and let us know how your system's working. <_<

IreLynx

IreLynx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried posting this last night, but apparently the site went down while I was in the process of replying lol. So anyways, my updated log is below. I didn't get rid of the Power Panel entry since that portion is needed. It's what tells me how much power my battery has left, and how much charge time is left, etc. I have it running in the task bar.

I will also be getting on my brother's system shortly & running everything. So I'll probably be back to start a new thread for his...I expect there to be at least 40 viruses & 300 entries in ad-aware lol.

So here's my updated HJT. <_<

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:42:19 PM, on 10/29/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server 20\appsrv\PicAppSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ICO.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKWnd.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\Air Utility\AirCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerPanel\Program\PcfMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\adobe\acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HKSERV.EXE] C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanupProgram] C:\Sonysys\cleanup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link Air Utility] C:\Program Files\D-Link\Air Utility\AirCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCSService] C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O16 - DPF: {CC05BC12-2AA2-4AC7-AC81-0E40F83B1ADF} (Live365Player Class) - http://www.live365.c...ers/play365.cab

IreLynx

IreLynx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Bah! Where's the 'edit' option when you need one lol. I forgot to say thanks. I haven't had any pop-ups thus far...then again, I wasn't able to get on last night since our isp went down. I give it 4 days before I find more spyware on here lol.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Congratulations! Your system is CLEAN <_<

How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use).

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.
Link to SpywareBlaster: http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=12

It's also CRITICAL to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

Included in those updates is Windows XP Service Pack 2. Since you're junkware free, the time to get it is NOW. Service Pack 2 is a MAJOR upgrade for XP. It adds numerous security and software patches, as well as new features and functionality. You will also be adding another layer of protection against future threats.

Running an anti-virus and keeping it up-to-date is REQUIRED to keep a clean system. If you don't have one or are sick of paying for what you have, AVG offers a great, free anti-virus:
http://free.grisoft....us/doc/2/tpl/v5

A firewall is also another MUST. If you do not have one or Windows XP Service Pack 2, both Zone Labs and Sygate offer great, free firewalls. I suggest using Zone Alarm for an advanced user or Sygate Personal Firewall for beginner users.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser at all times besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend Firefox (You'll need to use IE only to visit Windows Update).
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine.

It's okay to delete the Hijack This folder in a couple weeks if everything is working okay.

After doing all these, your system will be thoroughly protected from future threats. :D

P.S. The edit option is at the bottom-right of a post.