Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my dvd drive ceased to read cds/dvds

• Please log in to reply

sirjet

sirjet

• Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, a few days ago, I was installing a whole bunch of programs and games on my comp. while starting on my 23rd prog, the drive stopped reading discs that I put in. Clarified: it doesn`t recognize that I have a disc in, and when I click on the drive icon, it sez insert disc.

so I tried a few things:

a.)uninstall/reinstall the drivers. nothing
b.)try various cds. nothing
c.)uninstall/install the drive in the windows hardware managerand restart the comp. nothing
d.)go into the bios screen, and uninstall/install the drive in the CMOS setup.nothing

is there anything else I can do?!?!?!

thank you in advance, you guys are aces

Advertisements

sirjet

sirjet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to add the model

Samsung dvd-rom SD-616t :tazz:

*****edit*

I`ve already tried the cdgone patch and some of the solutions mentioned in previous posts. and my problem is almost exactly the same as his link
only, I use xp. and my computer is a brand new pc I built little over a week ago

Edited by sirjet, 19 July 2005 - 11:21 PM.

sirjet

sirjet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
pls help, I'm in serious need of this drive :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
there are several possible causes. let's look at some of the basic ones.

some questions first.

were there any yellow '!" or red 'x' flags in devices manager?

have you tried cleaning the dvdrom? you may have done several months of usage in a short amount of time.

are you able to test the dvdrom in another pc? or can you try another dvdrom in your pc? it's possible that the dvdrom was defective and died of infant mortality.

sirjet

sirjet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no, it was working fine. I replaced the drive with an exact copy, and it is now working fine. go figure :tazz: