Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Let's start with a couple of free programs:
CWShredder is the first to run. Here's why: If a CoolWebSearch variant is indeed running on your system, it may actually prevent you from running spyware scans. It is smart enough to detect efforts to detect it, and stop them. Download CWShredder to your desktop or other location. Close all browser windows, double click the CWShredder icon to run, then click the Fix -> button. When finished, reboot and run Spybot Search & Destroy.

Spybot Search & Destroy Download and install. Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates button, if any are found then click the Download Updates button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red, then click the Fix selected problems button. You may need to run Spybot S&D multiple times to remove all infections.

Reboot.

[http://www.geekstogo...oad&id=17]CLICK HERE to download CWShredder[/URL]
CLICK HERE to download Spybot S&D

Next
Please run a free online virus scan here (tick the "Auto Clean" checkbox):
http://housecall.antivirus.com/

And a free trojan scan here:
http://www.moosoft.com/
Download the 30 version of The Cleaner.

Reboot and post fresh log. I was looking at your log and realized we could clear some of this up with these programs and it will make it alot easier for us to clear out what's going to be left.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Advertisements

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Johnny,

No, I did not get the error this time when I rebooted. I'll be waiting to hear from you. Thanks again,

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
<_< Hi Jonny,

Ok, I tried to do everything you suggested but ran into a problem with housecall and moosoft. After I downloaded housecall I couldn't get it to work because it said it needed to know where the Netscape plugins were. I went to Moosoft and I didn't see the version that you told me to download.

I am including a new hijack scan. Hope it helps you.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 8:10:51 PM, on 10/30/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.51 SP2 (5.51.4807.2300)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGLOOP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EASY INTERNET\ENCMONTR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSG32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VETMSG9X.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ISP50\BIN\BARTSHEL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB\BACKWEB\PROGRAM\BACKWEB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VISIONEER\PAPERPORT\CONFIG\EREG\REMIND32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ISP50\BIN\PPSHARED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB\BACKWEB\PROGRAM\FREXT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\NETSCAPE\NETSCP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT\AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL\AD-AWARE.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://channels.aimt.../aimtoolbar.jsp
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.yahoo.com...://hp.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://channels.aimt.../aimtoolbar.jsp
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://www.searchalot.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.netscape.com/"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\7ztru1vu.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\7ztru1vu.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PEOPLEPC\TOOLBAR\PPCTOOLBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000EF1-0786-4633-87C6-1AA7A44296DA} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000020DD-C72E-4113-AF77-DD56626C6C42} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PEOPLEPC\TOOLBAR\PPCTOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM TOOLBAR\AIMBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Propel Accelerator] "@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ ?"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPCRunonce] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PPCRunOnce.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vet Alert] C:\WINDOWS\System\VetMsg9x.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VETTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Bart Station] C:\Program Files\ISP50\hta\station.sbrt
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsecomrEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSEcomR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsStatEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\Program Files\DirectCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Encompass_ENCMONTR] C:\Program Files\Easy Internet\ENCMONTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uoltray] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE regrun
O4 - Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\PrintMaster\pmremind.exe
O4 - Startup: HP Internet Center.lnk = C:\HP Internet\Surfboard\Surfbrd.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb\Program\backweb.exe
O4 - Startup: reminder-ScanSoft Product Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files\Visioneer\PaperPort\Config\Ereg\REMIND32.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: Lotus Organizer EasyClip.lnk = C:\lotus\organize\easyclip6.exe
O4 - Startup: PhotoWorks Uploader.lnk = C:\Program Files\PhotoWorks\Uploader\PWComm.exe
O4 - Startup: Web Eraser.lnk = C:\Program Files\WebEraser\wedemo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM TOOLBAR\AIMBAR.DLL/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pa&ge with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC Accelerated\pac-page.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pi&cture with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC Accelerated\pac-image.html
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: RealGuide - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {307D80B7-6553-42FB-9C99-19841353B4F0} - http://www.searchalot.com (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Search the Internet - {307D80B7-6553-42FB-9C99-19841353B4F0} - http://www.searchalot.com (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll

Thanks, fern

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Jonny, [COLOR=blue]

Have you had any luck with my hijack this scan yet? I hope that you will reply soon
with some help. Thanks,

ferndoodle

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Do you still need help with this log?

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

Yes, I still need help with my scan. I just took another scan this evening as
I had made some changes from the last one. Don't know if it helped much
though. When I boot up I get a message box that says: Easy Clip, Unable
to load Organizer APl file:orgapl.32.dll

I'm also getting a fatal exception message after I've been on the computer
for a while. The computer will slow down and not do anything so I click on
CRTL Alt Delete and try to close programs that way. After a while though
I get this fatal exception message OD has occured at 1C47:0000029E and sometimes
it will be OD has occured at 1C3F: 0000029E. I'm also having problems staying
connected to my dial up service.

I hope that you might have some suggestions for me. I never heard back from Jonny
and I really don't know how to proceed from here. I just want to get the computer back to being more reliable and running smoother. Here is my latest hijack this scan:

Scan saved at 9:38:08 PM, on 11/11/04
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\ISAFE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETMSG.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\CAVTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\CAVRID.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB\BACKWEB\PROGRAM\BACKWEB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB\BACKWEB\PROGRAM\FREXT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PEOPLEPC ACCELERATED\PROPELAC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\NETSCAPE\NETSCP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ISP50\DIALER\DIALER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WUCRTUPD.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://channels.aimt.../aimtoolbar.jsp
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.yahoo.com...://hp.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.netscape.com/"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\7ztru1vu.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\7ztru1vu.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PEOPLEPC\TOOLBAR\PPCTOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PEOPLEPC\TOOLBAR\PPCTOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM TOOLBAR\AIMBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Propel Accelerator] "@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ ?"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsecomrEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSEcomR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsStatEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VETMSG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CAISafe] C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NetZero_uoltray] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE regrun
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb\Program\backweb.exe
O4 - Startup: reminder-ScanSoft Product Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files\Visioneer\PaperPort\Config\Ereg\REMIND32.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM TOOLBAR\AIMBAR.DLL/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pa&ge with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC Accelerated\pac-page.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pi&cture with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC Accelerated\pac-image.html
O9 - Extra button: RealGuide - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Do you have easy armor and Mcafee running? You may just have remnants of McAfee. If you have both operating, please get rid of one. <_<

You may wish to print out a copy of these instructions to follow while you complete this procedure.

Please save Hijack This in a permanent folder (i.e. C:\HJT). This ensures backups are saved and accessible.

Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.

If you use People Pal don't delete the next five entries.

Please reboot into safe mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?.
Be sure you're able to view hidden files, and remove the following files in bold (if found):

C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB

Are you a People PC User? If not, get rid of this file:

Download Ad-aware from: http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=5

Install the program and launch it.

First, in the main window, look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest reference files.

Next, we need to configure Ad-aware for a full scan.

-> Click on the Gear icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window

1. In the General window make sure the following are selected:
  • Automatically save log-file
  • Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
  • Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
2. Click on the Scanning button on the left and select :
  • Scan Within Archives
  • Scan Active Processes
  • Scan Registry
  • Deep Scan Registry
  • Scan my IE favorites for banned URLs
  • Scan my Hosts file
  • Under Click here to select drives + folders, choose:
  • All of your hard drives
-> Click on the Advanced button on the left and select:
  • Include additional process information
  • Include additional file information
  • Include environment information
  • Include additional object details
-> Click the Tweak button and select:
  • Under the Scanning Engine:
    • Unload recognized processes during scanning
    • Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
    • Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
  • Under the Cleaning Engine:
    • Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
-> Click on Proceed to save the settings.

-> Click Start and on the next screen choose Activate in-depth Scan at the bottom of the page and then choose:
  • Use Custom Scanning Options
-> Click Next and Ad-aware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.

-> Save the log file when it asks and then click Finish

-> When finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose Select All from the drop down menu and click Next).

Please delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself) like for example
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\
C:\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files, be sure to also select delete all offline content.

-> Reboot your computer.

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log in this same topic.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Coaches Wife,

I have been trying to work on my computer but am having a few problems. I couldn't download the Ad-Aware from the site you recommended because I can't stay connected to the internet long enough. The Ad-Aware that I have doesn't have the different items you told me to check under the different categories. It has some of them but not all.

I use Peoplepc as my isp. I use EZ Antivirus as my virus program. McAfee came on the computer. When I rebooted into safe mode to remove C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB I wasn't sure how to get to the files. I know I've done it before but if you could walk me through it a little more thoroughly it will be better.

If you could give me a little more instruction on that I will try again to get connected and download the other Ad-Aware. I was able to run a scan with the settings you gave me and removed about 15 more things. I'll be waiting to hear from you. Thank you for your patience.

ferndoodle

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I know it's very frustrating. Just take a deep breath and we'll take it step by step. <_<

Right click on start....go to explore....on the left-hand side you will see a list of names. Search through there to find the location. When you find it...click on it. Then on the right-hand side it will have some files. Delete the backweb file.

Make sure you empty out your temp files and repost a log.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Are you talking about going to program files and clicking on Windows Explorer to find the backweb file?

ferndoodle

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Are you on a 98? Right click on Start....Click on Explore....

Find C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB on the left-hand side and on the right-hand side delete the backweb folder.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok, I found where you wanted me to look. Sorry about that. I found the back web but I don't have the the part where it has it written like you have it. How to I get to that?

ferndoodle

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Click on Program Files on the left-hand side. On the right hand side, you may or may not have a file that says back web. When you find that, right-click it and delete it.

Make sure in the address bar you have the address:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hello, I've been extremely busy working, sorry I never got back to you. You were in good hands with coachwife, I'm glad she was around to help you when I wasn't. Please post a new fresh Hijack this log and i'll help you get this. I found some info on backweb, you also have some other nasty stuff.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Welcome back Jonny,

Ok Coache's wife, I think I accomplished it. *lol* I'm sending my newest scan. I'm still having problems staying connected to the internet and the Easy Clip box is still coming up when I boot up.

Scan saved at 11:56:12 PM, on 11/12/04
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\ISAFE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETMSG.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\CAVTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\CAVRID.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VETMSG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CAISafe] C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NetZero_uoltray] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE regrun

Thanks, ferndoodle