Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 4600 Memory

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hi people. i have dell d 4600 and 512mb ram. dell told me i need to use 333mhz ddr ram and also if i bought 1 single 512 stick that would be fine. i assume the memory i got with the machine was one single 512mb stick then seeing as i have to install in pairs? do i need to bother about pc2700 or pc3200 either? i would really rather buy a 1bg stick to upgrade to over 1.5gb but suppose thats not possible? wheres cheapest place to get this ram for me, being in scotland. do i ask a lot of questions? haha thanks people! :tazz:

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
If its a straight 4600, the recommended memory for your machine is PC3200 or 400mhz DDR and that doesn't have to be installed in pairs. Whomever told you you needed PC2700 is at odds with Crucial's website re: your computer's memory. I'd suggest you download Everest and post back what you currently have for memory, then we can resolve what you have been told vs. what is actually needed.

:tazz:

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok thats brilliant, ill use that everest. problem is im at work just now so itll need to wait till im home! also, i live in scotland and i do not think crucial ship over here do they? thanks a lot

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I'm not advocating that you buy Crucial, just suggested it in response to your initial PM that you use their website to determine what kind of memory you need. Personally, there is a lot of other memory I'd rate higher than Crucial, but they make quality memory too.

As to whats available in Scotland - thats for you to research. I live in the States but have no problem buying from EskitData in Sweden, so I guess its all a matter of just how bad you want something - Geographic borders never bothered me.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok. to be honest i have no idea about who the best is. im happy to buy off of anyone as long as its the cheapest and they ship to scotland! kingston, ive been told are good

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

im happy to buy off of anyone as long as its the cheapest and they ship to scotland

Thats one of the bigger mistakes that any user could make. Not all memory is created equal. You'd be better off not to do anything to your computer if thats your approach to adding memory.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
i mean as long as its kingston memory!! as long as it is good memory i do not care who i buy it off of, as long as it is nice and cheap!

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok here goes:

i currently have: Field Value
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

and i am utilising 86% of it

i take it thats too big?

does this mean i need to buy it in pairs in general or not, because if i only have one 512mb just now then i can do with just buying one stick each time?

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ive just noticed something else tho...

spd memory modules:

dimm1: hyundai....256mb pc 3200 ddr sdram
dimm3:hyundai....256mb pc 3200 ddr sdram

does this mean i now have 2 sticks of 256!?

im confused!

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey guys, can anyone that knows get back to me and from using that information, tell me if i have 2 x 256 or 1 512? its quite confusing because to me it says both! if i wanted a 512mb stick is it ok just to buy ONE or should i be buying 2 x 256? cheers guys

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
the guy at dell said to me" with reference to your query, the Kingston 512MB DDR333 PC2700 NON-ECC CL2.5 DIMM will work in a Dimension 4600 system and the recommended memory configurations are:

1. A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors DIMM1 and DIMM2

2. A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors DIMM1 and DIMM2 and another matched pair installed in connectors DIMM3 and DIMM4

You can also install a single 512MB module which will not affect the performance and I would suggest you to install the memory according to the above specifications.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Kind Regards,

Muralidharan S

i think everest said i currently have 2 samsung 256mbs installed. if i install 2 kingston 512MB DDR333 PC2700 NON-ECC CL2.5 DIMM will that work ok with the samsung? if i buy the pc3200 will that not be compatible with my current pc2700?

thanks i really appreciate your help

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
pppppplease someone! :tazz:

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Okay,, I have some answers. First, with the 4600, you do have 2 X256 because the Dell 4600 is SDRAM. That means that it is shared Ram, and the Ram must be installed in matched pairs. Thus, you will have two more slots left on your motherboard on your machine for some more RAM. PC3200 is completely compatible with 2700. However, 3200 refers to the speed that it runs at (400 MHz) You said that you already have 2700 (333MHz) installed. If you installed 3200 with 2700, the 3200 will regress to the lowest speed of any of the pairs. Therefore, even though you will have 3200, it will act as 2700. But since there is not really a price difference between 2700 and 3200, you might as well get the 3200 in case you upgrade that 2700 another time. And therefore, I would think that you would be okay in installing:

"2 Kingston 512MB DDR333 PC2700 NON-ECC CL2.5 DIMM"

If you need help on putting them in, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jared

PS 86% usage is a lot, if that is constantly on there. In task manager, go to the processes tab, and sort by memory usage. See what is taking up the most memory and post back, please.