Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

"Uninstaller" ate my system files...

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I posted a couple of weeks ago, about a file that literally deleted all of my system files, causing me to reformat and reinstall, using win2000. Well, twice more this file has apparently reinstalled itself and ate win2000, twice. I've reformatted and reinstalled, gotten fresh copies of all additional applications and graphics, downloaded new copies of each add-in, like "regseeker" and "HJT", and replaced the aux copies of everything on my storage partition. I don't think I've left any stone unturned--I even fixed my MBR, in case this thing could be lodging there somehow
Could this heinous file be hidden, even after I removed the hidden attribute from all partitions and double-checked for that file from within the OS? I've used my own OEM version of xp home to reinstall, I've deployed that particular disk (not a copy) on several occasions for two separate networks, with no issues, and so far this week, I've had no problems here...yet.

I tried to copy that file to send it to someone who wanted to look at it, but it won't allow me access or permission to copy, remove, rename, edit or move it. The first time I found it, I could edit it---now I can't. The odd thing is, hjt doesn't see it, virus apps don't recognize it, and I may be losing my mind, but I find this stupid file in different places! system32 at first, then I found it in my system files folder, and I don't think it was there before--but I could be wrong.

I've never seen or heard of anything so illusive, and I'm at the end of my experience trove. All I have left is patience and stubborness.

Anybody have any suggestions that I may have overlooked? If I don't answer right away, please forgive me---I'm most likely reformatting my harddrive...again.