Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Pc WinXp taking too long to boot up

• Please log in to reply

foxylady

foxylady

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
;) Can anyone help me again.

New PC, Win XP, 1GB Ram, 120GB HD, NVidia 5500 AGP.

Right from the first day of this new PC it has taken over two minutes to boot up.
The PC boots up to the WinXP logo, with the bar underneath , then the screen goes blank and we have to wait, now, 1 and half minutes before it kicks into action again and finally shows the users names on the screen.

A few of my friends have this same problem and i do not know what can be causing this 'black screen' for this length of time. On monday we did a fresh reinstall for my friends computer with WinXP and his machine now boots up in 30 secs!...lucky him :tazz:

Can anyone suggest what this may be and how can i improve and make my boot up quicker.

Thanks
Wendy ;)

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. I suspect there are lots of programs in the startup menu that don't really need to be there. Take a look at the lower right corner of your system tray. Do you see lots of icons there? These are the ones that start up each time you boot. You can turn off for those you don't need at boot up. You can always start them when you want them and shut them down when done. Go to start, run and type msconfig click ok. Click the startup tab all the way to the right. Uncheck those you want to disable from startup.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
After what austin_o said, try this:

To speed up your boot time:

I'm not exactly sure if it's this way in english versions of XP because I am translating it from Dutch.

Start>control panel>system>advanced>restart and recovery settings>you will see two numbers under your list of Operating Systems. Change those numbers to half of what they are now. Keep going until you like your bootup speed. I've turned my numbers down to 3 and 5 seconds.

Hope that works for you.

Emery

foxylady

foxylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dear Austin and Emery,:help:

Austin, Did as you suggested with the start up settings through msconfig, even tried the other settings too and nothing changed, still took 90 secs to boot up after the blank screen. Must have tried about 5 differant way through msconfig/start up. Any other suggestion? ;)

Emery, Finally found a way through to something that had 2 sets of numbers and altered them down from 30secs each to 10secs each ( it was differant on English WinXp). Again, nothing changed. ;)

have either of you any other suggestions, and BTW if i don't reply it will be next week as i am off to Holland tomorrow :help: .

Ta Wendy

:tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
You're coming over to Holland?! That's where I live :tazz: . Try Tune up utilities 2004 and use the built in startup manager to remove programs from startup.

Have a great time in Holland. I will wish you some good weather. It's raining here now. I am off to the US in 2 days ;)

Emery

Edited by S A A B, 20 July 2005 - 10:32 AM.

foxylady

foxylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Have tried to download Tuneup Utilities and my system crashed ;) ( another problem i thought was solved with thanks to others on this site who helped me on that problem) I will try to download again but fear that my sytem may crash and i will have to leave it till next week. I will get back to you asap.

I am off to Lelystadt and then Lemmer to watch our friends son in the old Dutch ships that are racing this week. (Schoozee ..... spelt wrong i know!!) Really looking forward to it and my Berenburg!!!

Now back to this problem.... i will let you know asap how i get on....watch this space next week.

I will also have to get back on the other forum for the other problem too now ;)

Wendy :tazz:

foxylady

foxylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
;) ;) Downloading Tuneup Utilities crashed my system again. So my previous problem (sytem crashing without any warning) is still reoccurring and doesn't help me with this problem of a long boot up.

It must be certain sites that may cause my crashing problem, as i downloaded from other recommmended sites on my other PC problem without any trouble.

Any other suggestions please

Ta

Wendy :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Have a great time in Holland. :tazz: