Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 2000 boot problem

• Please log in to reply

spikeshinizle

spikeshinizle

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,
I am having trouble trying to get my computer to startup, it gets to the windows 2000 professional splash screen, the loading bar gets most of the way across and then the computer suddenly restarts. It does this every single time, I can not boot in any other mode (eg: safe mode etc) every option I have results in the same problem. I cant even get to the login screen!
I would try and use the windows 2000 professional CD to repair or whatever it can do, but the computer did not come with a cd, the OS was allready installed. Is there a way I can create some sort of boot disc? or get into the operating system and fix whatever it is I have to fix?

My knowledge of computers is on a medium to low level, if there is anything else you would like to know about it, please ask and I'll try my best to explain it :tazz:

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Have you installed any hardware or software lately?

spikeshinizle

spikeshinizle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I installed some software. It was a rom tha runs N64 games. I have used ERD Commander to gain access to my files and have deleted everything I have installed that could have caused the problem. I even copied some boot files from another computer running windows 2000 pro over to mine in hope that my problem was simply a corrupt boot file, but the problem still persists :tazz:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Did you try 'last known good'? should be in 'windows advanced option menu' when you press f8 on boot up.

spikeshinizle

spikeshinizle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I have tried all of the advanced startup options

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Is that ERD commander from Winternals? Do you have a ERD (Emergency Repair Disk) for that particular pc?

spikeshinizle

spikeshinizle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, it is the ERD Commander from Winternals, I do have an ERD for the pc, (if you mean the four floppy disks) I have used them and they didnt help, they asked for the windows 2000 cd which I dont have.