Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts on its own

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Okay, I recieved a computer I bought off ebay today. When I started it, it got to the Windows XP loading screen then it restarted. Then it did it again but this time started up ok. I installed splinter cell demo just to test it out, but the game would randomly stop and it would go back to desktop. Then I installed my broadband and internet pages would freeze, or the computer would restart on its own. Please help :tazz:

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Also I tried doing an online virus scan but more often than not the scan stops halfway through and my computer restarts >:tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Check your BIOS for possible overheating.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
My CPU stays around 37c or lower

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Nothing wrong with your heat. Try removing all but one of your memory sticks (if you have more than one, of course) and see if your system is stable. Keep adding sticks until the problem comes back.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I forgot to mention, sometimes I get blue screen. 2 different ones
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
and
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Sounds like it would be good to test that ram out some. Use memtest86. Load onto a floppy, and is a bootable disk. Run the test with one stick at a time, for at least an hour each. I prefer longer test times (it will run the same series over and over) sometimes as well. If you start seeing errors, try the other stick, see if you get the same errors.
Report the findings back, it should help tell us if you have some bad ram.

Edited by S A A B, 20 July 2005 - 07:43 AM.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Argh! It restarted on it's own again and now there's a blue screen that says:
The registry cannot load the hive (file):\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

What the... is this?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Your registry is a little broken. Download registry mechanic here. See if that can fix one of your problems.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
But I can't get on my desktop to run it. The blue screen comes up and then the puter restarts and does it again.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
So you could not download it either?

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Yes I downloaded it on my other computer and I was going to burn it to a disc but I remembered I can't even get onto the desktop.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Try to put it on an USB key or another bootable device and try booting from that device.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I don't have one atm. Should I try THIS?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
You could try using a CD instead of a USB key. The microsoft site might help you too, if you have your XP disc.

If you've got your XP disc, try a repair:

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

Edited by S A A B, 20 July 2005 - 10:39 AM.