Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help reformating Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

spanners

spanners

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi to all, cool site.

I need help with a friends computer. Has given it to me to sort out and I know almost nothing about computers, but it's alot more than he does.

The operating system is Windows ME. It is infested with viruses. I have tried running anti virus software, but it is too far gone. All appears to be lost.

It is not connected to the internet, so I am unable to down load stuff to it.

If I boot the computer in normal mode, the mouse does not work. Prior to the mouse giving up, the Floppy drive and the D drive appeared to have lost their drivers because they do not recognise it when a disc is inserted.

In safe mode, the mouse works, but I don't have access to the D drive and Floppy drive still doesn't recognise a disc.

He has given me the restore cd and floppy disc that came with the computer and I decided to try and reformat the C drive.

The problem being, that from what I have read, I need to insert the restore floppy disc and reboot the computer upon which I will be taken to a screen giving 4 opitons asking me amongst other things whether or not I wish to boot from the disc.

I am not taken to this screen, the computer boots as normal and I can't access the drive. I assume this is linked to the fact the computer is not recognising the disc drives.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

I am loosing my rag and my marbles :tazz:

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
what you need to do is put both the floppy and the cd in their respective drives. turn off the machine and start it back up...during the boot process there is something in the top right corner that says something like f2 to enter setup or del to enter set up....whatever the chosen button press it...this will bring you into BIOS... look for something in this that says something to the effect of boot order...make sure that the order is floppy then cd then hd...save the changes (this will cause a restart) if all is well then it should boot off of the floppy which will in turn boot the cd.

spanners

spanners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks dsenette for the fast response.

The boot settings, are lsted as follows:

First boot device Floppy
Second boot device HDD-0
Third boot device LS120

Should I be swapping the second and third around and if so is it easy to do?

Thanks again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
if the ls120 is your cd then yes

spanners

spanners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I find out if the LS120 is my CD?

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
it probably is your cd drive....but on the off chance that it isn't...what make and model of cd drive is it?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

The LS120 is NOT a cd-rom drive but a glorified floppy (uses 120meg disks and can read 1.44 floppies)..

As long as your first boot device is set to the floppy, all you need is the WinME floppy..

Boot the system with the floppy in a: drive.. Use the option to "Start without cd-rom support"..

Once everything loads and you end up at a:>\ prompt, type in "format c:" (no quotes" and press enter..

Once formatting has finished, re-boot (leave the floppy in).. This time choose "Start WITH cd-rom support"..

Once all the drivers, etc have been loaded, put your ME cd into the drive, change the drive prompt to your cd-rom drive (will be one letter higher than normal) and type in "setup" (again, no quotes..

Let setup do it's thing !!

Murray

spanners

spanners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks again.

This Pc was bought as a package from a UK national company called "Tiny".

The discs that my frined has given me which he claims came with the Pc are a floppy labeled "System Restore Pack Millenium Edition" , a CD labeled " System Restore Pack V2.2 (Win ME)" and a CD labeled "Easy Install CD Family Compilation Disc1).

I am assuming that the the operating system is contained on one of these CD's and the floppy is the boot disc. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

With the floppy in, I do not get the option to "Start without CD-ROM support".

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a complete novice (although it is interesting learning).

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Those disks are called "recovery or restore" disks and will reset your system back to the same way it looked when you purchased the system..

The first disk "should" be self-booting so all you need to do is make sure the first boot device is set to the cd-rom.. Put the first cd into the drive, save the change to BIOS and exit out..

The computer should reboot on it's own and pickup the installation files from the cd..

Murray

spanners

spanners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your time Murray.

Unfortunately, It doesn't matter which discs I put in, I have tried every possibility and the floppy on its own several tiems. It loads to the screen telling you if you want to enter "set up", hit delete and if you leave it, it just boots up to the desk top in normal mode where I can't use the mouse or access the drives.

I noticed in a previous comment of yours, you refered to the floppy WinME. As one of the CD's I have is labeled System Restore Pack V2.2 (WINME), could this be the disc that I need?

If so, could I set my LS120 as my first boot device and reboot with this disc in, or is that just not a good idea.

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for your time Murray.

If so, could I set my LS120 as my first boot device and reboot with this disc in, or is that just not a good idea.

Thanks

View Post

No.. you need to change the first boot device (click on it and use the Page UP or Page Down keys" until it says cd-rom.. That's what you need to use..

Save that change and away you go..

Murray

spanners

spanners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think/hope that I am getting somewhere.

With either the floppy a 1st boot device and cd rom as 2nd, or with cd rom as 1st boot device (both the restore floppy and the restore cd in the respective drives), it boots from the cd ro.

This takes me to a black and white screen (not to sure if this is a DOS or BIOS screen). The screen is titled "Volume in drive Y restore 22"
. " Welcome to the -system restore pack-"
I am then given two options.
The first is called "2nd Chance" which allows you to restore to previous dated restore points.
The second is called "Restore" which which returns the hard drive to a basic set up of operating system and drivers.

Now I am still having a bit of trouble. If I select the the first otion, it takes me to a "Windows" type window with a list of restore dates. Unfortunately, my up and down arrows as the instructions suggest will not move up and down the dates (nore will anything else) and after a short time, it re-boots automaticaly. The problem is that the date it restores to is the most recent check point as I can't move the dates, which takes me back to the original problem.

If I select the 2nd option, it prompts me to save my applications and personal data before continuing. When I continue, I get a green/black screen with the little egg timer (only for a few seconds which seems odd if is a full restore) and then it returns to the restore screen as above. it gives me 3 options.
1. Select option 1 (which I have already tried)
2. select option 2 (which I have also already tried)
3. return to command prompt

Naturaly I opt to return to the command prompt as I have tried the other two options.
All that happens then is I get the prompt A:>

I have no idea what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is your keyboard a ps/2 or USB??

Next. try using the 2nd cd you mentioned earlier..

Murray

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
yeah...go for the flat out restore one

spanners

spanners

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
First, the keyboard is not connected through a USB port, so I assume it is ps/2 type.

Second, if I use the other CD, I get a "Failure to Boot" from that drive in normal mode, but it will boot in safe mode.