Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

javascript errors (i think)

• Please log in to reply

bevcart2

bevcart2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I read other forum posts back to 2004 and didn't see my particular problem, so I decided to just jump in.

Problem: certain pages I'm on have links that won't work (i.e. the "check for updates" link on the the microsoft update site). When this happens, the bar at the bottom says "javescript..........something" or "shortcut to javascript......." The links that don't mention javascript seem to work. BTW, I checked on the Internet Options/Security/Custom tab and all the java stuff is enabled.

I run Windows ME 4.90.3000 and IE v.6. If there is anyone out who will help me, please make your suggestions easy to follow. I'm a computer dummy but I need your help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
try opening the control panel and seeing if you have an icon for the java plugin...if it is there go to the update tab and update your java console

bevcart2

bevcart2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reponse! I tried that yesterday, but I'm not sure if I did it right. I have two icons: one just says java and the other says java plugin 1.3.1_02. Each one opens up different control boxes. The plain java button has an update tab, and I updated to a java runtime environ. 1.5.0_04. The java plugin icon control panel doesn't have an update tab and the icon still says 1.3.1. Nothing changed after the update. Still can't work the links--can't even close some of those pop-over ads that have a close button! ARGHHhhhhh!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
this is mainly because you said you can't close some pop-ups...