Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Migrating users DATA from old PC

• Please log in to reply

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi fellow members of geekstogo.com I currently bought a new PC and I need some advice with migrating users data (3 users) from “My Documents” to my new system. Both OS are running Windows XP. What would be the best way to do this?

Also, what would you guys / gals recommend to import Outlook Mail and Contacts from old PC to new PC as well as all data files (ie: MS Word docs (*.doc), MS Excel docs (*.xls), MS Power Point docs (*.ppt), MS Access docs (*mdb), and any other files created by software applications)

All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :tazz: Irongeek ;)

Edited by Irongeek, 20 July 2005 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you can either burn all of these files to cd/dvd. get a direct connect cable and set up for direct connection, take the hd out of the old pc and put it in the new one and transfer from there, or use the jedi mind trick to will them into their new location

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Is the data from the 3 users on a seperate HDD or are they on another partition of your current HDD?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
2 seperate pcs SAAB

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
If you've got 2 seperate pc's, slave your old HD to your new one and transfer the data using explorer.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thank you for the fast replies. Is their anyway I can transfer this data from my network?I have 3 computers 2 desktops and one labtop using CAT5 and using an Ethernet Broadband Router also running software firewall sygate.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yeah...if all of the computers are on a network with shared access y ou can just copy the files over the network

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
What protocols would you recommend to do this? Perhaps map a network drive? Or do a search for all file extensions throw them in my documents then burn it to disk like you stated is actually really a great idea so kudos to that and thanks for the replies.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i say put everything you want to keep from the old pc in one shared folder and just pull that one folder over at once