Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems With New System

• Please log in to reply

NTL

NTL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently purchased some new computer components (MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core processor, Corsair value ram). After installing these components I have had some problems getting my system running. When I first started my computer I attempted to boot from my old hard drive with Windows XP installed on it, when I tried this it gave me a stop error saying Windows failed to load because of some problem with my hard drive. When I turn my computer on it doesn't always go to the "Platinum" screen, sometimes only the monitor self test screen comes up. When I am lucky enough to get to the Platinum screen I have the option to "Hit tab to enter POST", or "Hit Del to enter BIOS setup". I have looked over the BIOS settings and everything looks to be in order. I have tried booting from a live Linux CD, but that always freezes while loading. I even tried putting my Windows CD in on startup, but it goes through all the devices (USB ect...) and then says "Starting Windows..." and restarts to the monitor self test screen. My motherboard does not have an onboard video card, and my monitor is plugged into my ATI Radeon 9600 SE video card which I just installed. I am almost positive the power supply is not the problem, I am using a 450w power supply which is new, and I have verified works in another system.

Could the problem be a bad motherboard, or something else? I have tried many things with no success. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you saying you are trying to boot your computer using the hard drive and OS from another configuration?

Windows installs and configures itself for the current system specs. This includes the motherboard. If you change the motherboard, then the windows configuration will not match and the system will not boot.

If I am incorrect in my analysis of what you're try to say, please let me know.

makai