Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio trouble

• Please log in to reply

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am having trouble with my sound. I have installed two new drivers and still no sound. I checked my device manager and it stated the driver is enabled but not active problem unknown. There is no yellow exclamation marks or question marks on anything. Any help appreciated.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Have you checked to make sure it hasn't been muted??

Do you have the volume control icon showing in the System Tray??

Murray

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a new icon for the new sound driver I downloaded but when try to access the control panel for that it says , failed to create direct sound. One other thing I have to add is that on the device manager for sound on audio the select preferred device is grayed out, can not select. Also it says the driver is enable but not active. I can not run my recovery cd. Thanks in advance.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into Device Manager.. Hightlight your sound card (what is it by the way) and click on "Remove"..

Reboot and let Windows find and install it again..

Murray

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have SoundMaxIntegrated Digital Sound. I have already removed and reinstalled the sound driver three times.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The proper driver should be on the systemboard driver cd you should have received with your system..

Is that the one you are using??

Also, do you have the speakers plugged into the proper port and turned on??

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 22 July 2005 - 12:49 PM.

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My system did not come with a system driver cd. I have tried to run recovery cd but cd players are not working either. Yes, my speakers are connected to the proper ports and have checked with headphones to same port with no sound. This all started with an improper display. I removed and reinstalled the display driver and that fixed the display, but no luck with the sound. When I remove my sound driver and reboot it does go thru the reinstall but still no sound. Have installed the newest sound drivers as instructed from hp website. Additionally the cd player, recorder was working before the display problem; which now they do not see any disc loaded. One other thing is I tried to go into BIOS system as instructed thru hp but pc would not start up in BIOS, will not start up in safe mode either......wow.......what ya think......

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Oh I forgot to mention, when I click on the new volume icon in my task bar to access the control panel I get a dialog box stating: an error occurred while Windows was working with Control Panel file C:\Program files\Analog devices\soundmax\smax3cp.cpl. Don't know if that helps any??

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Where did you get the drivers from??

Make and model of your system and the exact operating system??

Murray

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My system is Compaq Presario 5105RSH. I downloaded the drivers from the HP website, the operating system is Windows ME.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. next logical would be to go to the Compaq/HP homepage and check their FAQ's concerning audio problems..

Murray

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the advice, I had already went there and tried all their fixes, so then headed here to see if there was anything else to try. Thank you for you quick guidance and time spent.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Did you open up your system for any reason between the time is was working and quit working??

Murray

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No I did not open my system before it started acting up.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. What happened or what did you do to your system just before you lost your sound??

Have you checked BIOS to make sure the integrated soundcard is still enabled??

Murray