Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio trouble

• Please log in to reply

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I don't know what happened, my display and sound went haywire at the same time, the display I fixed by removing the driver and rebooting. I can not get my pc to start up in bios. When I checked my sound driver it says enabled but not active.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Your manual should tell you how to get into BIOS.. It may be the f10 key right as soon as you see the Compaq logo.. and something had to happen for both to go.. bad shutdown, power outage, etc..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 28 July 2005 - 09:11 AM.

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The display and sound were that way in the first start up of the day (day everything was haywire). I had the wrong directions for going into BIOS , was told f1 not f10. I will try that again. Thanks.

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I went into the BIOS the audio was on "auto detect" I changed it to enabled and rebooted the pc. Still no sound, so went back into BIOS and set back to "auto detect" I sure do appreciate all the time and effort you are donating to this issue. Thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

The display and sound were that way in the first start up of the day (day everything was haywire). I had the wrong directions for going into BIOS , was told f1 not f10. I will try that again. Thanks.

View Post

Okay.. just a little clarification here.. Everything was working and then one day you started the system and video and sound were gone.. or: video and sound were screwy since the first day you got the system??

Murray

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry for the insanity there; Everything was working and the next day when I started the pc it just was haywire. It had been ok before for years.........lol.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried doing a System Restore back to a date when everything was working??

Murray

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes I did go to try that but someone, not me, had disabled system restore and not enabled again so I was up the creek. I also tried to run the recovery cd but for some reason my cd player would not see the disc or any other disc....

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
All I can suggest now is a complete re-install.. Boot into BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set to the cd-rom.. Put your recovery cd in and re-boot..

Murray

MisterDB

MisterDB

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I have the same problem. I tried to update my computer with Audigy2 ZS. What a mess. I lost all sound, and have installed unistalled many times. I e=ven had a system tech look at it and couldn't fix.

The problem is exactly the same as Hilltopsmiler's.

Failed to create Directsound - error smax3cp.

I returned the Audigy card and at present I am trying to get back to the original set up.

The on board sound card is also SoundMax.

Did the complete re-install work?

Advertisements

Hilltopsmiler

Hilltopsmiler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No it did not work. I could not run the recovery cd as my cd player also quit working as did my printer at the same time. I am thinking may be a hard drive issue?? But one thing I do have sound when I run DX diagnostic on the one setting but not on microsoft synthesizer setting???? Insane huh........

MisterDB

MisterDB

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I got mine working -

I did a complete reinstall of everything on a new hard drive. I upgraded my drive to 100 GB, I fugured I could use it else where if it didn't work.

The only annoying thing I get and I think it is BIOS related as it did this before the upgrade is it hangs up during renoot on the "Intle Motherboard" start up screen.

I haven't updated the flash bios yet so it may be the issue.

Did I say annoying - NAY NAY it is a pain in the butt as it hangs up for 4 HOURS.

Once I get everything loaded I'm not going to shut the thing off LOL

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hilltopsmiler...

Please download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it, and post a log to this thread.

There are some intel chipsets that require extra files to make the sound and/or video drivers work properly.

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sounds to me like maybe the computer took a surge of electricity. Wierd though because most of the time surges just kill the power supply. I've seen surges through the phone line and cable line kill a motherboard though. Just my thoughts, continue on, there is nothing of interest here....

:tazz:

MisterDB

MisterDB

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I semi fixed the reboot - intel screen issue - I just hit the space bar twice and I log into the DOS screen to choose a login profile, no big deal as it boots up real quick now.