Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not open most programs..

• Please log in to reply

geckocon

geckocon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Yesterday I turned on my computer (AMD 1800 xp pro sp2) and I clicked on one of my folders on the desktop and the computer locked up for a minute and came up with a dr. watson error. I tried to open any other program or file and it is the same thing. The only thing I can open is Outlook. I can send and recieve emails fine, but if I try to type a web page in outlook to visit a site (because I can not open IE) it locks up and shuts down outlook. The only way I can get online is by cutting and pasting a link in outlook (but I only have a few seconds if i am longer than that it locks up) The only way I can open up files is by attaching them first into an email and then opening it from there. I can not open or run any programs.
I was able to cut and paste a link to trend Micro and did a spyware and Virus scan, but came up clean on the virus and a few spy ware that I removed, but all looks fine. I also ran a ram/ memory test off a floppy and all tested out fine. I cleaned the mobo and ram slots incase there was dust...everything looks fine.
Any Ideas?

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Edited by S A A B, 20 July 2005 - 11:44 AM.

geckocon

geckocon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK...I followed step one (repair internet connection) and I did, then it closed to reboot and now it will not reboot and I do not even get a beep code? MOBO can not possibly be bad, as I just bought it and installed last month and it is too much of a coincidence. Any thoughts? (I am using my old 200 mhz computer to post this, and it is slow!!!!, but atleast it works :tazz: )

Edit....I got it to start and then I ren the clean up, and sfter it rebooted I get an error:
Explorer.exe Application Error
Application failed to initate (0xc0000006) click to terminate.

Then it rolls to the desktop (no icons, all blank) and is running idle.

I can only open taskmanager.
I tried to roll back/restore, but the roll back date only goes to yesterday and when I did, it is still the same thing.

Could it be a major registry error, as I cleaned temp file and ran spyware virus scan yesterday and all was good?

Now I can not do anything but get to task manager. Even in safe mode,I just get a blank screen and the error aboput explorer.exe comes up.

Any more suggestions.
Thanks

Edited by geckocon, 20 July 2005 - 02:24 PM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I would try a windows repair if you still have your XP disc.

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

Emery

geckocon

geckocon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: ;) ;)
Thanks