Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ABI Network/ Aurora

• Please log in to reply

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
chs9,

Running those P2P programs greatly increases your chance of getting re-infected, it is likely how you got infected in the first place.

Here are some items that you will want to add to your to-do list:

These are some tips to reduce the potential for Spyware/Adware/Virus infection in the future:
I would strongly recommend reviewing and installing the following applications if you dont currently have them running on your system:

Use Anti-Virus Software
It is very important that your computer has Anti-Virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
See this link for a listing of some online and stand-alone Anti-Virus programs:
Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

Update your AntiVirus Software
It is imperitive that you update your Anti-Virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your Anti-Virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

Use a Firewall
I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:
Understanding and Using Firewalls

Spyware/Adware Detection and Removal Programs:
Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and DialersAd-Aware SEIf you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to setup and use Ad-Aware SE
How to use Ad-Aware SE to remove Spyware
[/list]Spybot S&DIf you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to setup and use Spybot S&D
How to use Spybot to remove Spyware
[/list]I strongly recommend using both of these programs to catch most spyware/adware

Prevention Programs:
  • SpywareBlaster -- SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • SpywareGuard -- SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad -- IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts File -- The MVPS Hosts File replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
  • Google Toolbar -- Get the free Google Toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other Necessary Programs:
  • A More Secure Browser
    Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser.
    There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend using Firefox
Be sure to also keep up with Windows and IE updates.

Windows Security and Critical Updates
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Internet Explorer Security and Critical Updates
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Update all these Programs Regularly:Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released. Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Thanks,
rstones12

Advertisements