Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Erratic Cursor

• Please log in to reply

bcripps

bcripps

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:44:01 PM, on 07/20/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\SHIV89MN\HijackThis[1].exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows Registry Repair Pro] C:\Program Files\3B Software\Windows Registry Repair Pro\RegistryRepairPro.exe 4
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Active@ Eraser] C:\PROGRA~1\ACTIVE~1\ACTIVE~1\ERASERD.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\system32\msjava.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {15589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-000000000000} - http://www.errornuke...erInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefend...bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A3009861-330C-4E10-822B-39D16EC8829D} (CRAVOnline Object) - http://www.ravantivi...n/ravonline.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcaf...534/mcfscan.cab
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Windows Installer (MSIServer) - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\MsiExec.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Hi everyone. And thank you for this exceptional service.

Could someone look over my log above, and see what could be causing my cursor to move erratically and freeze every 10 seconds or so. I'm having to use Safe Mode as I can't open any folders on my regular desk top.

I have run "CleanUp" but could not run Trend Micro, Spybot or Ad Ware SE. They would start up but freeze shortly after. I managed Ewido but it took a long time... a few files would be scanned before the system froze. Then after a minute, I would get "The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 was not completed before the time-out period expired" window. I clicked "continue" and Ewido scanned a few more files before getting hung up. Not too sure how successful this was but the scan came up negative for virus.

I have all my files backed-up but I couldn't re-load Windows 2000. Is this because I am in Safe Mode?

Anyway, I would certainly be interested in hearing from you. You helped me with a similar problem a few months ago. Use my name as a key word and search for my correspondence if you think the problems may be related.

Thanks again. Your people are great.

Bryan Cripps

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Your HiJackThis log is clean, so I am going to move your thread over to the OS forum where you will get some help.

ScHwErV :tazz:

bcripps

bcripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks, ScHwErV... appreciate your efforts.
Bry

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Refer the following link (M$ Article):
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;321122.
Go to the "Windows 2000 or Windows 98" Section in it.

bcripps

bcripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello darth ash...
Appreciate you helping me with my glitch.
I went to the MS link you provided and have printed out the instructions. Just a couple of questions before I start...

I'll have to do all this in Safe Mode. Is OK?
When I boot to Safe Mode and click on the first function (open internet or a folder), things hang up for a full minute and then I get the "Windows-Device Timeout" window with the options of Cancel / Try Again / Continue. I click on Continue and the window disappears and I can proceed. How can I close that window without my mouse connected? Otherwise it blocks the screen.
I have backed-up my "Registry Keys" in case of a problem. Is that correct or should I be backing up my complete registry?

Thanks again... wish me luck!

Bry

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
No, just back the "Registry Keys" mentioned in the article.
Also the article says nothing about doing it in safe mode. U should do it in normal mode.

bcripps

bcripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the quick responce...

I can't do anything in normal mode... the cursor moves around the desktop but will not open anything and using "ctrl+esc." and using the arrow keys to navigate doesn't work either.

In safe mode, I can navigate with the arrows until the "Device Timeout" window blocks the screen from my view.

What do you think?

Bry

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Use "Mouse Keys", if u not comfortable with Keyboard Shortcuts.

bcripps

bcripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Please explain... you've lost me. (Not hard to do, unfortunately)
Bry

bcripps

bcripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
OK... got the info on the Mouse Keys.

I ran through the MS procedure in Safe Mode and rebooted with the mouse reinstalled. I then could actually open folders in normal mode but still slow. I re-did the MS procedure again but this time in normal mode and rebooted... Here's what happens now.

In normal mode, the computer seems to open normally. The desktop opens and I have my cursor. When I click on the first folder, it highlights but then everything hangs up for about 30 seconds. I can move my cursor around the screen but every 10 seconds it hangs for 4 seconds before moving for another 10. During the time it hangs, there is a distinct "te-te-te-te....te-te-te-te....te-te-te-te....te-te-te-te" sound coming from the computer.

After about a minute, the "Windows - Device Timeout" window appears on the screen and the file I had clicked on opens up behind it. I click "Continue" on the timeout window and, after about a minute wait, it closes and I can click on a document within the open folder. This starts the whole procedure all over again.

In Safe Mode, the desktop opens and I get the first hang, but everthing pretty much runs normally after the first timeout window closes.

If I run a virus scan from any of the G-To-G downloads, everything hangs shortly after the scan starts and I have to reboot.

Sure would like your thoughts on all this... I've been playing with this for 20 days now and while it's a great way to learn, I'm getting a little tired.

Thanks again...
Bry

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Restore the backup of the registry. (Just double-click the .reg file u saved as per the MS article).
Lets "Repair" Win2000 installation. Hope, u had created a ERD (Emergency Repair Disk)

bcripps

bcripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have my ER Disc (about 3 months old) and my Windows 2000 CD. How would you like me to proceed?
Bry

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
1) Use the W2K CD to start your computer.

2) At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to select the option to repair a Windows 2000 installation.

3) When prompted to choose the type of repair or recovery option required, press R to repair a Windows 2000 installation by using the Emergency Repair Process.

4)Choose the type of repair option you want to use:
Press F for Fast Repair.

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
This is one of my TYPICAL simple solutions. :tazz:

But it is SO IMPORTANT for us that have cusers with a ball; to do this every now and then.

When my curser is NOT co-operating it is because there is lint on the rollers.

Take off the back by turning counter clock wise....Take out the ball and look
inside... OFTEN the two rollers have lint rolled around on them...Remove it with the tip of a pen or your fingernail...BLOW HARD IN IT...Put the ball back inside and the bottom back on and it will run so much more smoothly.

'bcripps' I realixe YOUR PROBLEM MIGHT BE SOMETHING ELSE but this is GOOD ADVICE
for everyone with a mouse that has a roller ball. ;)

P.S. I am assuming that you already went to control panel and clicked on the MOUSE option and opened it and checked through all the different settings?

Janie

Edited by fflowergirl, 29 July 2005 - 02:52 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ash - keep in mind that it sounds like his drive is thrashing....try to increase the page file

bcripps - how much ram do you have?