Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

floppy won't run ?

• Please log in to reply

frameltons

frameltons

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
my 3.5" floppy drive won't work - the computer recognizes it but it won't run - i tried a different one with the same result - the indicator lamp remains on all the time the computer is running whether there's a disk in it or not - any ideas ? ...

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Ya.. you have the cable backwards.. either on the floppy or on the motherboard..

Murray

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
This sounds all too familiar. check to make sure that the IDE cable is not plugged in backwards. (ie. switch the cable around so the red line that runs along the side of the cable is on the other side of the IDE connector on the motherboard). take a look at the diagram below.

Posted Image

--Chris

frameltons

frameltons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
d'oh ! - i assumed if it was the cable i would've gotten some sort of error message - thanks guys - i always come away feeling a little dumb but you always help this greenhorn out of a jam ...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem.. :tazz:

Murray

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Always here to help! :tazz:

--Chris

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a quick question since this is the quintessential floppy problem (and it's been resolved) has anyone here gotten the BSOD from tightening the screws on a fdd too tight?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

just as a quick question since this is the quintessential floppy problem (and it's been resolved) has anyone here gotten the BSOD from tightening the screws on a fdd too tight?

I have heard of that but its never happened to me, I am wondering if its true.

Rick

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
No I highly doubt it. Usually if a FDD fails, or isn't detected, you merely get a screen saying somthing to that affect and then given the option to continue boot sequence normally.

EXCEPTION: this may actually happen if you are trying to boot windows from the Windows recovery diskettes, but like I said before, I have never even heard of this happening, nor has it happened to me personally.

If this HAS happened to anyone, please post here or PM me as I would like to know exactly what happened.

--Chris

PS. This may also happen if you overtighten and crack a hard drive from which windows boots.

Edited by cheathawk1, 20 July 2005 - 09:06 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've had it happen twice.....it's usually the back sets of screws...the one on either side at the back of the fdd...you tighten them too much....bsod...you loosen them...no bsod