Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did I order the right one?

• Please log in to reply

Peepo28

Peepo28

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
i ordered Windows XP Home edition the other day, but i ordered Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade with Service Pack 2. That one was for $88 or something like that. The other one i just saw on the net is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 and that one is $189. Why is it more expensive and should I have ordered that one? Whats the difference between the two?

remember: I deleted all partitions off of my laptop and am trying to put windows XP back onto it from scratch. thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your hard drive is empty and there is no operating system on it then....yes y ou ordered the wrong one...the upgrade does just what it says...it upgrades a current o/s..if you don't have an approved o/s on the system it will give you errors....also...xp home sucks....the extra money for pro is worht the pain you wil save

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As long as you have a legal version of Win98, Win98SE, WinME or Win2000, then you can use the upgrade cd to do a clean install..

Just have the qualifying program (one of those I mentioned) along with their Key Code handy as you will need them to verify the upgrade!!

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well i'm assuming that i dont have any OS on my laptop anymore b/c i ran a win98 bootdisk in it and did the fdisk thing to delete the primary partition. So that means that i dont have anything on there right?

and what about this one? is this right since i deleted all partitions?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16837102141

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
bumpity bump! :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You don't need anything on your hard-drive.. All you need is a legal operating system cd (one of those I mentioned) and the upgrade cd will work..

Otherwise, the one from newegg will do..

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
thanks! :tazz: