Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead slow burning process

• Please log in to reply

Issy7307

Issy7307

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello to everybody...

I'm new here, first post, I hope this is the right place to put this, if not, apologies right now.

I'm having a problem burning. It takes absolutely ages. It hasn't always been like this. After looking around for a bit I found that the drive was set to "PIO" instead of UDMA, I changed that back to UDMA, it is now running as that, but burning an almost full DVD still takes over an hour (at 8x).

I've noticed that whilst it was burning (using Nero), the "Read Buffer" (I'm not sure if that's what it's indeed called because I'm on a German language system and Nero is in German too) would slowly slowly fill up with the "Buffer-Level" being full-ish, once that was done, the "Buffer-Level" would go down whilst the "Read Buffer" goes down again too. Repeat. Lots of times. It only seems to burn while the "Buffer Level" is going down.

A bit info on my system, I don't know what to look for, what would be important in this matter, I really hope someone here can help me. I'm running Windows XP Home SP2 on a 1.70 GHz Pentium 4 processor with 512 MB RAM.

Don't know what else to write right now, this is the problem basically.

I hope someone can help.

Issy

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is actually a common problem with Nero. And usually restarting the program will correct it.

What version of Nero are you running. I've heard that from version 6xx some stability problems occur.

I run version 5.5.10.42 with no problems... although, once in a great while the buffer problem you see with it going up and down, does occur.

You can download older versions of Nero from Here.

If an older version does not work for you, try removing and reinstalling the version you have.

Note: Your registration may or may not work with all verisons, but you can try it.

makai

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello makai,

Thanks for the reply.

I indeed had a 6.whatever Nero version installed (Nero Reloaded + new update, "Ultra"?). Restarting didn't help, I had rebooted the computer several times because of the DMA-settings and after that it still didn't work.

I have downloaded Nero version 5.5.10.42 from that site, it didn't like my number but I found my number from an old Nero version, and that one did work!

I have since then burned a video DVD with 3120 MB within 11:50 minutes. The buffer level is still jumping all over the place, but it's not this "full --> empty --> wait" thing it was going through before.

Then I tried burning a data DVD and it's taking a long time again. 16% after 12 minutes. I notice the read buffer is at 0% most of the time, that doesn't seem to be a good thing somehow. Then again I don't know anything about what it does so... Maybe it's a really good thing! Argh. :-(

I was really hoping after burning the video DVD that had been it. :-(

In the task manager, Nero isn't really using a lot of the CPU percentage, between 0 and 5, most of it is being used by the "idle" process or what it's called. Not sure if that's normal or not, just thought I'd mention it.

Also I have my hard drive in two partitions, Nero is installed on one and the files I'm burning are on the other, can that be the problem? But the files from the video DVD were also from the other partition.

Issy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Also I have my hard drive in two partitions, Nero is installed on one and the files I'm burning are on the other, can that be the problem? But the files from the video DVD were also from the other partition.

No, this is not a problem.

I have to investigate more on the buffer situation as I don't know exactly what could be happening.

Like I mentioned, I have experienced this exact same issue before, but not to your extent. Mine just works after a restart of the program.

I will look into it, and please if you find something out yourself, post back.

Thanks,
makai

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I forgot to ask... what kind of drive are you using... model, manufacture?

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm using a Philips DVDR1620K according to the packaging, but it says DVDR 1640 on the drive itself.

The DVD just got finished, it took 55:25, the last 12% went a lot quicker than the rest of it.

I saved a log of it, would that help you if I posted that?

I'm going to work now, maybe someone there knows anything!

Really appreciate your help, thanks a lot. :-)

Issy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No need to post a log. I surely won't be able to make heads or tails from it.

I will look into this further. Sorry, no easy/fast fix!

makai

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I got more help from someone else, so far done the following:

- updated firmware
- tried burning with firewall / av turned off
- tried burning another disc (stopped that process after 20 minutes or so with not much done)
- tried burning another video DVD (worked alright, bit slower than the other one though)
- burnt a test DVD with nero's CD/DVD speed tool - worked completely fine, normal amount of time used for a full 8x DVD.
- tried burning something on a DVD using the XP inbuilt burning proggie (where you can just drag and drop something and then burn it) - wouldn't let me.
- changed the cache location from C: with a drive speed of 364 KB/s to D: with a drive speed of 2.329 KB/s (according to nero)
- then burnt a 4x DVD+RW, half full, took about 15 minutes! Yay!

Then my friend had to leave!

- then burnt a 8x DVD+R and guess what. Same problem again. Stopped the process after 10 minutes with 9% done.

Am out of discs now.

Issy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Issy,

Try cleaning out your temp folder... located C:\Document and settings\your profile\Local Settings\Temp.

Also, check the cache preferences in Nero (File menu\Preferences\cache) and see where you cache is being dumped to/read from. It should be the same as above. If it's not the same as above and the location is different, empty out that temp folder.

makai

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've done that, wasn't a lot there though. As I said, I changed the cache location to the D: partition because that had a lot better speed. That directory is empty though.

Nothing has changed, still ssllooww.

Someone else I've talked to has suggested that this could have to do with a burning .dll file that has been switched or renewed. Which would be a problem because Windows doesn't like to overwrite new files with older versions of them, and besides I don't have any idea just which .dll this might be, since I haven't burned anything in a while and have no idea which programs I have installed since then.

Apart from that he said I will probably have to wipe the drive and re-install Windows. :-/

Issy

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Apart from that he said I will probably have to wipe the drive and re-install Windows. :-/

I wouldn't go as far as that.

Have you ever worked in the Registry? If you have, are you comfortable working with the Registry.

My thinking is this. Uninstall Nero. Search your computer for all instances of Nero software remnants. Search the registry for Nero remnants, and delete them. When everything looks clean with no more remnants, reinstall Nero.

If you're not comfortable working in the registry, you can mess up your machine. This is why I asked the question. If you have never worked in the registry, and need help getting rid of Nero remnants, I can help you do that.

makai

Edited by makai, 22 July 2005 - 07:00 AM.

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did when I changed my drive back to DMA from PIO (involved deleting something so at boot up it would check the drives again to determine their DMA ability). But apart from that, I don't think so. And that was only after it was going so slow.

Issy

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ah ok I thought you had asked because I might have changed something to the worse in there...

I'm not sure how I find out which keys in the registry have to do with Nero though.

Issy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I'm not sure how I find out which keys in the registry have to do with Nero though.

You just have to use the "Find" function of the Registry Editor. Then delete everything you find that has Nero in it. Since Nero is a stand alone program, windows never installs with a reference to it. Meaning every instance of Nero in the registry belongs to the installation you ran when you installed nero. So... deleting Nero entries will not hurt windows in the least. BUT... you can't delete the entries until you uninstall the program from Add/remove progams. AND... you must be extra careful not to delete any key not belonging to nero in the registry.

Before you go messing in the registy, go HERE and download this progam called Erunt. Read the "detailed discription" of the program. Then make a backup of your computer registry using Erunt.

Once you have backed up, let me know before proceeding as I want to make sure your backup is correct.

makai

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okies, it's backed up now apparently!