Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead slow burning process

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, do me a favor and run another backup. Don't worry, you can always delete these later when you decide you don't need them anymore.

Then go to C:\windows and look for the folder erdnt and make sure your back ups are present. If you did two backups, you will see two folders.

If they are there, go ahead and uninstall Nero through Add/Remove programs.

Next, do a search of your root drive (c:) for any instances of Nero and delete them. You may have to set your folder options to unhide system files so the search will look in the system folders.

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THE FOLLOWING STEPS. ONE ERROR CAN CAUSE YOUR MACHINE TO BECOME UNBOOTABLE. DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN REFERENCES TO NERO.

Next go to Start/Run.. type in regedit

In the Registry Editor window, click once on MyComputer to select/highlight it. Then go to the menu and click on Edit and choose Find from the menu.

In the Find box, type in Nero, ensure all options are checked, then click Find next

The registry will then be searched and will stop on the first nero instance. The instance will be highlighted. Verify that the instance refers to NERO. Be careful it is not a partial result that the search has found. Meaning the registry search may also find portions of a reference that contains the letters "n e r o". For example, the word onerous contain the letters "n e r o" and the registry seach will stop on it. You have to be careful not to delete partial hits! If you are confident the instance belongs to Nero, then you can delete it.

To find the next instance, hit the F3 key, and the search will continue.

Go through the entire registry and verify/delete all Nero instances until the search flags that no more instances can be found... then exit the registy and restart your computer.

Hopefully, you didn't delete something you weren't supposed to delete! :tazz:

After restart, try reinstalling Nero again and hopefully you don't end up with the same problem.

You have to decide if you want to try this. It's always scary for me when I give instructions on editing the registry... I would much rather just do it myself! Good luck.

makai

Advertisements

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I am still here, so I can't have deleted the most important things in the registry...

I re-installed Nero, same problem as before. No changes. :-(

Issy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Issy... you're killing me!!!! :tazz:

I'm going to have to do more research on this. Something is causing this for sure as this is no way normal.

Try this... Open My computer, right click on your DVD drive, choose properties. On one of the tabs, (I don't know what it's called, I'm on Win2K right now), disable Cd recording. Also, you don't happen to have DirectCD installed do you? If you do, it might be trying to control your drive.

Anyway, I know you're not going to give up yet, so I'll keep checking this thread to see if you found something. You do the same.

makai

Issy7307

Issy7307

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm *sorry*! I'd much prefer it if I could stop bugging you! :-))

I haven't found DirectCD on my computer and since I've never heard of it I'm pretty sure that I don't have it installed. I disabled the other thing though, still no change of course.

Not giving up yet, no, but I think I might stop trying things for today, just too tiring and annoying! (At least it's the burning and not the Ultima Online client that is being so slow! *grins*)

If I do get fed up with it I'm gonna let you know. Should be easy moving all my important files to the D: partition and put a new Windows on C:, well that's my theory anyway... Not too keen on that though!

Issy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

If I do get fed up with it I'm gonna let you know. Should be easy moving all my important files to the D: partition and put a new Windows on C:, well that's my theory anyway... Not too keen on that though!

I fully understand about reinstalling. If it comes to it, then it comes to it. At least we tried! I will continue to research.

makai