Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"To Firewall or not to Firewall... that is the ?"

• Please log in to reply

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Is it highly recommended to install a firewall? I have Spyware Blaster installed, I use FireFox instead of IE, and I run Spybot and Adaware frequently. (I have been getting an error message popping up when loading Adaware as of today. "Reference file corrupt or invalid." Is this a problem?) Would you recommend using aditional protection? If so, what would you recommend? <_<

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Yes, I would definitely use a firewall. Do you have anti-virus protection also?

Why don't you click on my signature and download the latest version of Hijack This and post the results. Someone will be along to help you out shortly.

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I posted my Highjack in the Highjack only forum. I have Norton System Works 2003 for antivirus. What firewall would you suggest? Are there any good ones that are relatively simple to use and FREE <_< ?

Thanks for your help.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I had Zone Alarm and liked it until I had to update it and....let's just say I wouldn't use it any more.

I've heard a lot of good things about Sygate - and it's free. <_<

Do you update your antivirus program?

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I always update my antivirus at least once a week. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for Sygate.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
To infinity and beyond. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A firewall basically monitors traffic between your computer and the Internet. Firewalls are recommended for anyone on a broadband connection. The Firewall built in to Windows XP does a pretty decent job, and doesn't require any user intervention. The trouble is it only monitors incoming traffic, not outgoing. It's usually our first recommendation, and much better than nothing. It's also been improved in XP Service Pack 2.

Firewalls that monitor outgoing traffic from your computer to the Internet require much more user intervention, and "training". This can be very confusing even to advanced computer users. ZoneAlarm has done the best job of pre-approving the most common applications, and presenting the rest in an easy to understand format. Unfortunately, the latest version has proved very buggy, and it's always been a resource hog.

Sygate is a very efficient firewall, that is very customizable, yet easy to understand, and most importantly very secure. It requires a larger learning curve than Zonealarm.

Finally, if your computer is connected to a wireless router, it likely has a built-in firewall that works very well, and a software firewall is not required.

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for all your help!! <_<