Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

owossogirl

owossogirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have two hard drives; C: 1.96GB and G: 6.02. The IDOIOT that installed my Windows (XP) put it on the small hard drive. By so doing, I have NO AVAILABLE SPACE (currently have 128 MB). I download everything using G drive, but I now have a problem. . . . .

I recently signed up for Verizon DSL. I received the equipment today and, lo and behold, it requires 100 MB for install. It won't let me 'choose' where the install is going, so it ends up on my C drive. My question is, is there any way to direct downloads so that they will automatically install on the G drive? Please help! My only alternative is to uninstall XP and reinstall on the other hard dirve. I am hoping to purchase a new computer in the next couple of months, and I really don't want (or need) the aggravation of all this right now.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
wow....i haven't seen an 8 gig drive in forever....i personally would wait till you get the new machine....cuz this thing probably wont run your dsl connection any faster than dialup would move

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do you have a router in your collection? You could let the router log on to Verizon and just set your computer to access the router. Also, you may be able to get by without installing all the software. I'm not acquainted with Verizon but XP has many options for internet connection. What kind of protocol do they use? The main thing is to be able to log in to the WAN, wide area network.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
You have a 2 gig & 6 Gig drives???

Did you just upgrade from Win 95 or Win98?? How much memory do you have?? & how much can you expand to?

Just curious . . . if you have enough horse power

Jack123

owossogirl

owossogirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Please note, that this computer was a 'gift', and I've simply grown faster than the computer has.

As far as I can tell, Verizon is already logged on (as my system states). If there's somewhere that I can go from here, I certainly don't know what it is. As far as the XP, I have deleted a lot off of it (needed the room), like Excel and everything connected to it. I still have everything in tact regarding my networking (as far as I know).

As far as "horse power", I have (I think) 320 MB RAM. I just had it upgraded.

I do have a 13 GB hard drive, but I can't figure out how to "wipe it clean". It came out of a computer that my roommate purchased, and was (apparently) set up with a business system on it.

Money is an important issue right now, so I'm trying to get this working the best that I can without having to pay anything out.

Thanks Guys (and Gals)!!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You've got plenty of memory. To wipe the other drive clean you just have to hook it up as a slave and format it. When you install a second drive in an XP machine you have to wait till two prompts come up from the system tray saying "found new hardware". Then it will show up in My Computer. Just right click on it and choose format. If you any reason that doesn't work right click on My Computer and choose Properties, then Hardware, then Device Manager, then expand the Hard Drives and work it from there.

Some computers come with cables for only one drive. In that case you just need to get a cable for two.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just as a clarification for Tyger...disk management not device management (not correcting just making sure she get's there).