Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Migrating Files Old>New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Daisypearl

Daisypearl

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi--I have a new computer and want to easily transfer a lot of my files from my old one. I was thinking of buying Alohabob PC Relocator Ultra 2005 because it is supposed to transfer selectively. I am going to keep the old computer; we only got a new one because the old one was old and we were running out of disk space.

Anyway, the journals seem to like the software but users who bought it and responded seemed pretty lukewarm about it.

Has anyone used it? I am NOT a techie so if it is at all difficult that lets me out. I have no friends who are computer mavens in the area so am pretty much on my own. I had planned to just copy to my old CD-R/W but there seems to be a problem with it and I am tired of trying to figure it out.

I am not committed to only using Alohabob--if someone knows of another one that is easy please let me know!

daisy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you wanted to get really special and be able to tell all your friends that you are now a computer tech...you could take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it in the new one..and transfer the files that way...

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Network it?
What OS is the old comp running? (Assuming the new one runs WinXP)
If they're both flavors of Windows, you could network them easily enough and xfer only what you want.

Never tell your friends your a computer tech... then they start in with the... "Hey... I've gotta problem with my comp..." There's not enuf free b33r in the world to fix some of peoples computer problems...