Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power-On Password....

• Please log in to reply

marineyp

marineyp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi. Ok here's my problem. I got this computer from a yard sale a while back and when I turn it on it asks for a Power-On Password. I don't know what to do since I don't have any of the books that come with the computer. The computer is a Compaq EVO 7500 with the Windows XP. I don't know if that info is going to help any.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
(1) You could go to the place you got it from and ask them.
(2) You could try some obvious ones, like admin, justme, etc. and hope you hit it. You'd be surprised how many people just use admin.
(3) The sure fire way which is not so easy is to reset your CMOS memory, which is where the password is kept. If you know the motherboard part number you can hope to find a manual on the makers website, usually in PDF format. Or you can hope to find the information at the computer makers website. Basically what has to be done is to move a little jumper from one place on the board to another, wait a while till the circuit discharges, and then move it back.

What is the make and model of computer and do you know the motherboard part number? One of us may know the answer and be able to help some more.

To find the manual put the part no./computer model in Google and add filetype:pdf, if that doesn't get it just browse the site.

Edited by Tyger, 20 July 2005 - 04:47 PM.