Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plz Help eMachine.

• Please log in to reply

Elvedin

Elvedin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
First of all i want to say that i'm advanced in fix or upgrading Computers.
Have already made over 40 computers.
Ok here is my problem i have received a phone call from my oncle for PC problems.
The computer didnt want to turn on right away i knew that it was Power supply problem well what i did i took my Power Supply and put it in his pc and it worked fine.
I bought new power supply for him 250W i have connected everything but strange problem i never had this kind of a problem.
When i turn on the pc everything is working but the monitor wont turn on .
I hear no Beeps fans are working fine but caplock and num lock on keyboard are like blinking every 7 sec i have checked everything every single hardware i have even reset the bios i took the battery out for 2 min and still nothing.
I have done everything within my knowlege .
Right now i have a feeling that something is wrong with CPU but i dont beleive that it's CPU problem because i dont hear any beeps and the computer it's new .
Can you guys help me.I was thinking about putting a AGP card in ?
Thank you guys.
PC Info.
Emachine 256MB ram DDR 333Mhz , 2400+ Athlon xp,Video card on motherboard.
Windows xp Home.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Based on your specs, I would say it needs a minimum 400 watt power supply.. I don't think that 250 is going to cut it here!!

Murray

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Totally agree with Murray you need a better psu then that one.

It may not be all the problems depending on the circumstances that lead up to the first psu going south but as Murray said you first need to try a psu 400w or better and a good name brand will help to.

Rick

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
i would think a 400 is a bit exreme, 350 should be fine. thats what my dads comp has and he has a 2500+ barton 512 ram, and a RADEON 9600 256mb AGP. and it runs fine

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
400w is not extreme at all its pretty much the standard for a Amd XP machine the only 350w I would trust are some Fortons and some Enermax.

Rick

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
my dad's in an Antec, it came with the case....meh? whatever though....but now i'm gonna hear it cause i got a 560 in my comp, but mine is also a heavy duty computer, and i use a lot of it

Elvedin

Elvedin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
But the original Emachine came with 250W PSU.
Should i go ahead and buy new PSU ?
Thanks.
Anyone still here :tazz:

Edited by Elvedin, 21 July 2005 - 07:38 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would purchase a new psu, like I said before I ain't sure that is the problem but I am sure 250w is not enough for that system and before you start to troubleshoot other components you have to have with a good psu that is adequate.

Rick

Elvedin

Elvedin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for your help i'll go ahead and buy new PSU and see what happens.

Elvedin

Elvedin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Well today i bought 400w Antec PSU and installed it in the eMachine but still the same problem .
Like i said when you power on the PC everything has power but nothing on the monitor.. Caps Lock and Numlock on keyboard are like blinking every 7 sec .The Bios does not even boot on the monitor i hear no beeps.
When you power on PC i can hear HD boots and the yellow light for HD stops after 8 to 10 sec to blink.
Any other ideas ? well i'm thinking that MotherBoard does not boot right.

Edited by Elvedin, 22 July 2005 - 06:32 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Good choice in a psu, sorry it did not fix the problem.
I would next remove all the drives and cards ( except video) and see if the computer will post.

If no go then make sure a case speaker is connected to the system and remove the ram and try and boot to force a beep, if the system beeps then the board and cpu is most likely good and you should try another video card , if still nogo then try another stick of ram.

If no beeps then it could be either the cpu or mobo but in my experience when a board don't beep its the mobo and not the cpu but this does not always hold true so the only true way to test is to swap in another known working cpu.

keep us posted

Rick

Elvedin

Elvedin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for reply.
I'll try that right away.

Elvedin

Elvedin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey, I hear no beeps at all i have checked that the speaker is connected but i hear no beeps .
I have tried AGP Vcard but the same problem.
You told me to Swap Cpu well i have ony Pentium Cpu's the pc with the problem you can only install AMD Athlon Cpu's .
If i know that the CPU is the problem for sure i would buy one.
Waiting for your reply.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well it is hard to tell witch is bad mobo or cpu my guess is the mobo because of the lack of beeps.

If you have striped everthing down, tried another video card, replaced the psu and now only have the cpu with hsf, video card, ram and psu connected it has to be one of these components. We know the psu and video card are good so that leaves the mobo cpu or ram. You could try another stick of ram but I doubt it again because the board won't beep when the ram's removed.

Look the mobo over very carefully, look for bulging or leaking capacitors, if there are then bad mobo.

Go ahead and remove the cpu and inspect it if its damaged from heat or burn up you should be able to see burnt edges.

These conditions may or may not exist if they don't they could still be bad but again my guess is the mobo.

Rick