Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking about building a gaming computer

• Please log in to reply

ahuffman

ahuffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am going to get the 4000, it seems to be the best choice for the money. I have about $265 to spend on a monitor and speakers. Not a whole lot, but hopefully enough for a decent lcd.

Advertisements

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
LCD Monitors

There are two monitors on Newegg within your budget. A 19" Acer and a 17" LG. Given that you are using a 7800GTX, I don't think either of these will do you justice, because neither provides even 1600x1200 resolutions. You want something, I think, that can handle 2054 (or whatever it is) resolutions.

Have a look on Zip Zoom Fly.

I think you'll be happy with the 4000+, so long as you're not going to be doing crazy multi tasking.

ahuffman

ahuffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
This lcd looks great and has some good reviews, not to mention the great price. I am thinking that this monitor will work great. Now I just need some decent speakers.

LCD

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Yeah that looks good, but it's not going to let you fully utilise the power of your 7800, because it can only provide resolutions up to 1280 x 1024.

As for speakers, what do you want - a 2.1, 5.1 7.1 setup? What does the Audigy 2ZS provide - 7.1 channels? I'd go for Logitech. If you want a 2.1 setup (ie two speakers and a sub), the X230 is a great desktop system. The sub puts out good bass.

ahuffman

ahuffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yeah that x230 system looks good for now. Until I can muster enough cash for a 7.1 system.

ahuffman

ahuffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay, I have some extra cash left over and was wondering how easy would it be to set up 2 of these hd in raid?

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Can't help you there mate, never tried it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For a monitor settle for a response time no greater than 8ms, a monitor is not something you can skimp on, you may as well have spent half the money on a gaming pc if you get a crap monitor. I love my syncmaster its pretty tasty got a pal with a 23 inch hp crt and its good but you really dont notice much difference between mine and his 1280 by 1024 isnt bad for games at all higher is better but the lcd native for most is still very good. Size obviously is great was just at a LAN party and my rig was easily the smallest and easiest to move everyone else had crt, also the best lookin although that was unintentional benefit.