Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing - Cant boot using XP disk

• Please log in to reply

nwingate

nwingate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, I'm having trouble with my laptop.
When I try to boot I get an error message that says.

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I know the normal troubleshooting. I insert my Windows XP disk and do a repair. But thats not working. Every time I boot from that CD I get the message

Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration...

and then I get a black screen that never goes away.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like your hard drive may have failed. NT Loader is the first file that loads and is used to load all the others. You might check to see that the connections to the drive are solid, yeah, opening the case isn't very easy. Good luck. It's possible that a virus may have damaged NTLDR. Maybe someone has a better idea here.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a link that you can use to trouble shoot it:

http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

Just wanted to add....if you take the back of that laptop off, I would mark where each screw goes. Some manufacturers use several different length screws. If you put the wrong screw in the wrong hole and its to long, you could damage something.....make sure you remove the battery first.....

Edited by macten, 20 July 2005 - 08:54 PM.