Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Most confusing problem

• Please log in to reply

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, I came here in the hopes of finding some insight into the way my machines been behaving lately. I've seen threads on how sometimes peoples machines don't shut down poroperly when told and others about the sassr worm that randomly shuts your machine down. My monitor shuts down saying it's lost signal input, cable disconnected or power saving. Same thing it usually says when it's turned off. My box however appears to still run, fans turn, machine hums. It does this randomly, sometimes I'm playing a game, sometimes the machines idle. 16 hours ago this had never happened before, since then it's happened atleast half a dozen times. I see no pattern to it. I'm running an Athlon 2.8 on an Nvidia Nforce 2 mboard and a Radeon 9600 and a gig of ram. the whole package is only a year and a half old. A week or so ago I was watching a dvd on it and it abruptly shut down, it took me a few restarts to figure out a stray power cable was jamming up my cpu cooling fan. I sorted it out and it went fine from then, untill now. Is it likely that some damage occured during those 3 or 4 overheats that is only now making itself apparent? I'm not exactly a computer noob but by no means am I a techie.. I couldn't fix me a sandwich.. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I hope the things not broken, I've only recently finished paying it off. I've also had both my mouse and keyboard go bung withing hours of each other recently. Coincidence? I hope so. Any thoughts anyone?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Have you added any software or downloads berfore this started to happen

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think my microsoft antispyware hoodicky updated itself a day or so before I noticed the problem, I also installed Flatout (the game) about 5 days ago, since then I uninstalled it. It was the second time I'd installed that with no problems before.. ooh wait, I also installed Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay about 3 days ago, my flatmate never experienced any funkyness with it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
do you have system restore turned on ? it would be interesting to see what
happens if you restore before these installs

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Apparently I do have system restore turned on, but I don't know how to just roll back to a restore point without the whole thing having gone fubar on me in the beginning. Whenever my machine crashes in the said manner, I reset and all is fine.. untill the next time it happens.. no error messages, no warnings.. not even a "hey, you're machines going funky"

User friendly my [bleep]...

SwampGator

SwampGator

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Have you checked event viewer to see what is happening when the crash occurs?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The problem hasn't reoocured since I posted the request for help in the first place, mind you I've been at work and had my machine off for a significant part of that. I'll remember that eventviewer thingy for when it happens again. All the ones with red X's are listed as dmboot and they're all under the system catagory.. I dunno if that helps you or not.. a few of them seem to match up.. I can't remember exactly the times this has happened

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I dunno if this is related or not but my machine just froze, didn't close the moniter like last time but just stopped responding completely, I checked the event viewer and noticed another red X, double clicked on it and it said this:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.

All the other red X's just say :

dmboot: Failed to start volume Volume2 (X:)

Which is odd. X drive was my movie drive, recently went bung also, Western digital 2 hundy.. Started getting an error message when I turned the machine on telling me it's S.M.A.R.T status was bad and a crash was imminent. it's not plugged in, in the other end of the house.. *strokes chin* hmmm...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
are you running a raid system?

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nope. not that I'm aware of. I get the feeling that kinda thing would be fairly obvious to me if I was.. so yeah, I'm gonna say no

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
any chance of you checking the capsitors for bulging ones

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
which means?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
open the case and look on the motherboard
I am looking for a pic I had

Snackinabox

Snackinabox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah some sorta visual representation of what I'm looking for would come in handy