Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"User Agent String"?

• Please log in to reply

Koof

Koof

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I was here because of a problem I'm having trying to start a game called Battlefield 2. Actually, when I first purchased the game, it worked fine up untill last wednesday. The game had a third party publisher create a program called Punkbuster to moderate with cheating. However, in order to join multiplayer games with the Punkbuster program on, you had to be an administrator on your computer in order for it to work. Despite me being an admin, I started getting an error that told me that I had "Insufficent O/S privelages" so I check the Punkbuster website for FAQ's, and lo' and behold, a program was linked on the site telling me that it was Malware giving me this problem. I run the program they give me, and it works fine. I can play the game! But, only for a few hours. So I run the program again... no luck. I contacted support and I gave them a log of what the program did, and they said:

"The one we need to worry about is the user agent. That has to go. It sounds like VX2Finder cannot remove it. And that is about as far as I can go to help, I just don't know much more about malware removal. I recommend that you get expert help on malware forums, or try some other applications to try to remove it. If you can get rid of the user agent string, then I can help you set your user rights back to normal. The last option is a system reinstall, as that will do it as well."

Note that the support member says a system reinstall might work. I would love to do that, considering my computer is way overdue for one, but I cannot find my Windows XP recovery disc that came with the computer. :tazz:

Here is the link to the conversation (the program is linked to in the conversation as well):

The Support Conversation

Sorry if this is troublesome... but how do I get rid of this "user agent string"?

Thanks a bunch ;)

Edited by Koof, 21 July 2005 - 01:51 AM.

Advertisements