Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Really Not Sure What My Problem Is...

• Please log in to reply

MitchC

MitchC

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello everyone,

Firstly, would like to apologize if this is not in the right section of the forum. As the title states, I am not sure of my computers problem.

I am new to the site. Why? Because my new computer is crashing. I have had the computer a week and would like some techincal advice. I am pretty good with computers but no training or anything. I had a buddy who I work with at a computer store help me build my PC. Here are my specs:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego Core)
Corsair TwinX XMS 1 GB PC3200 Dual-Channel DDR Kit (2 x 512 MB)
Western Digital Raptor 74.8GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA
HP LightScribe DVD±RW/CD±RW Dual-Layer Burner
3½” Floppy/7-In-1 Card Reader
BFG 6800 Ultra OC SLI PCIe 256MB
Enermax EG701AX-VE 600W
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Case

I think that about covers it. Anyways, before I was having some issues with the system. Some symptoms where the mouse would freeze. The cursor would lock up completely. I knew the computer wasn't froze as I could still navigate Windows with the keyboard. Also, the computer would crash fairly often, mostly during games. I would get BSOD and I think I received about 3.

My buddy, who had overclocked my RAM and CPU in the BIOS (A topic which is over my head) figured they were failing. So everything was returned to Manual settings.

Now just this evening I was playing a game, America's Army. I received what is called a Critical Error. This is common in AA and the game itself crashes and you just simply load the game back up and continue playing. Immidiately after this Critical Error, I got another BSOD which I thought I had fixed. I have attached images of the Blue Screen and the errors I have received. I did have the old pictures of the BSOD but deleted them today thinking my problems were fixed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you can help me out. :tazz: Many thanks in advance!

Mitch

Advertisements

Elvedin

Elvedin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I would say you need to reinstall Windows Xp or you have HardDrive Problems.
The Critical error you posted from Americas Army that happens because you dont have the latest Video drivers.
I would say reinstall OS or check you Hard Drive or it could be a virus.
So much from me :tazz:

Bazzrr

Bazzrr

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Have you followed the instructions in the BSOD?
Esp those concerning the BIOS and caching
You could try selecting the option in BIOS to restore defaults

If it has been overclocked, depending on how it was done, damage may have been done

If the mouse cursor stopped, and kb works ok, then the computer is not locked
The mouse has simply stopped working,
try another mouse? otherwise, suspect mouse port on motherboard

The nv4_disp is a video card file, try reinstalling or get new drivers from web

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=325730 have more info to follow for similar Stop error

or google "nv4_disp"

Good luck!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Or your page file may be too full, or not large enough for your usage.

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

Thanks for the input thus far. I will try returning everything in the BIOS back to default to see if that helps.

Does this sound like a memory issue? I was running some RAM temporarily before I got my Corsair and this never happened. I am going to run a Memtest this afternoon to find out more details.

Mitch

Edited by MitchC, 21 July 2005 - 06:52 PM.

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

I did a MemTest for 6 hours and it completed about 30 passes. I received no errors. Is it possible the RAM could still be defective even though it had no errors?

My nVidia drivers are updated. The Critical Errors in the game were not due to drivers. That occurs with everyone I play with. Including my new and old systems.

The overlocking was done in the BIOS. I sure hope no damage was done... :tazz:

I will continue to play around with things. It seems as though the system will only crash when it is under stress. ie: Battlefield 2, America's Army, etc. ;)

Mitch

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
EDIT: Wrong Thread, Sorry. :tazz:

Mitch

Edited by MitchC, 11 August 2005 - 01:54 PM.