Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dos command

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Is there any Dos command that restart a computer in safe mode? I am make a batch file and need to get into safe mode and am too lazy to reboot and press F8 and all that, I wan't it to do it for me.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
There is DOS command for shutdown, restart and log off. But, not restart in safe mode.
U could modify the boot.ini and add /SAFEBOOT next to the desired OS. But F8, will be a better option than that.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I there a way it get Dos to activate the F8 or any other hot key?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
No DOS command to that. But u could make a program to put its F8's scan code in the keyboard buffer.
But then again, XP boots directly unlike, Win98 which booted from DOS.
So u wont get a chance to run the program.
Anyway, how hard is it to press one key.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I am going to install Visual C# and try to learn to use that, is there code that I could put in that would do what I wan't? I din't wan't to be a pest I just wan't to learn and asking questions I find is a very good way to learn (I am fifteen and have not leart every thing yet but I am going to try to know every thing there is to know about computers! Impossible I know, but I don't care!)

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I forgot to say the the hole aim is to make a batch file that dose a complete routeen. Scan for Virus and then run check disk and the do this and that. I know it might be silly but I wan't to learn as I said and it was a project that I made up and decided to try. And the use of hot keys to do things would be very handy throught the hole process.