Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to solve this problem...

• Please log in to reply

ossint

ossint

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

I have a PC with W2K OS in it. When starting I am met by a blue-screen saying "Inaccessible_boot_?". Check for virus, run "chkdsk /F". Chkdsk /f does not exist!

Trying to solve the situation using the CD for repair, it says that the SW have been trying to update and a new try is going to be done. This fails saying that the program can't decide the setup.

Now, what can I do? I need the information and the programs installed. I have recently moved and all my program CD's are in storage.

Is it possible to make a new installation and at the same time keeping the registry of the installed programs? (copy the registry files!!??)

I don't know what switches there are when installing W2K or XP.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ossint, 21 July 2005 - 02:52 PM.

Advertisements

SwampGator

SwampGator

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm not sure if you tried it or not but did you get into the recovery console? If not get there and run chkdsk /r.

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I'm not sure if you tried it or not but did you get into the recovery console?  If not get there and run chkdsk /r.

View Post

So I did and there are no failuers or errors. The blue screen says

0x0000007B (0xF081F84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

AND SOME MORE TEXT.

Have followed the instructions but no solutions, no idea what to do.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you able to boot up on the computer in question?

makai

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, I can boot up on a second installed W2K Pro in the same partition. But this gives me no access to installed programs.

Motherboard Intel D815EEA
HDD 40Gb
Processor Intel Celeron

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You have two win2k installations on the "same" partition?

How do you boot to the 2nd installation???

makai

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

You have two win2k installations on the "same" partition?

How do you boot to the 2nd installation???

makai

View Post

I get a choise when starting. It is written in the boot.ini batch file. Actually the second one I did install to be able to speak to you. It wasn't there from the beginning.

Edited by ossint, 21 July 2005 - 04:04 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry, but this is puzzling to me. I have never heard of having two "executable" windows installations on a single partition. This is not a typical dual boot scenario, and it defies the allowable Win2k rules of configurating dual boot systems.

Nevertheless, your post speaks of a blue screen saying "inaccessible_boot_?".

If your boot.ini file allows you to choose which win2k to boot from, can you tell me which win2k installation is failing to boot... the first or the second?

edited... sorry, I just read your "whole" reply.

So, what you're actually saying is that you had a corrupted win2k and you decided to just install win2k all over again right over the corrupted installation?

makai

Edited by makai, 21 July 2005 - 04:08 PM.

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Not on top over the first. The first is called WINNT and the second is I caled WINNT2. This was done so that any information, documents, mail in Outlook and so on would not be affected. It is the WINNT that doesn't work but it is there I have all my info and programs.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Then if it is truly a second instance of Win2k, then I now understand what your original post is all about!

You want to have all your programs work in the 2nd instance without having to reinstall them all over again. And you're wondering if you can just copy over the registry from the first instance into the 2nd.

Is that right?

To tell the truth, I don't know if it's possible. I have never run into this scenario before and I hope I haven't wasted your time.

I don't know what to tell you at this point. You could probably make a back up copy of the 2nd instance registry, but if you can't access the first instance, how will you copy it over?

Are the programs, files, docs, etc, visible at all?

edited: What happens if you boot from the first instance? Do you just get an error?

makai

Edited by makai, 21 July 2005 - 04:34 PM.

Advertisements

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, they are. That is most of them, Outlook, the mail, is not visible at all. Is it possible to find the registry files in the first instance? It is not that I am lazy, I just can't get my program CD's since they are all in storage and will be so for some 8 months to come.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry, I went Googling!

This is what I found for the location of the Win2k registry...

%systemroot%\system32\config

the current_user hive is in
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\ntuser.dat

The last reg backup files in
%systemroot%\repair\RegBack

and the original as-installed files in
%systemroot%\repair

makai

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you boot to safe mode using the first instance?

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, so what are your thoughts? These files says me nothing. I am good at many things, computers is not one of them. For instance, could I install XP in the WINNT place, WINNT is the failing one, and would XP absorb the registry and the settings or would it just '"kill" it all. XP is supposed to have extra ordinary capabilities when repairing it self.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You asked me this...

Is it possible to find the registry files in the first instance?

So I posted back where the registry is located.

Then I asked you ... Can you boot to safe mode in the first instance??

makai