Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 8000

• Please log in to reply

nmendoza86

nmendoza86

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i get no type of power or anything to the laptop.. bought new power supply .. not the problem.. any ideas ?

Edited by nmendoza86, 21 July 2005 - 06:56 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what happens when you press the power button? are there any sounds? smells? any lights what-so-ever? is it still under warranty?

nmendoza86

nmendoza86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
nothing happens at all no lights go on nothing it gets no power at all and no its not under warranty no more

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so basically....laptop plugged into the wall...nothing......laptop not plugged into the wall....nothing?

nmendoza86

nmendoza86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
exactly

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alright.....it may be best for you to shell out some dough at a local computer repair place......getting inside of laptops is a personally daunting experience. if you are confortable with it you could open the thing up and look to see if anything looks or smells funny...but i suggest getting a pro inside of it

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Are you sure your battery isn't just dead? Even though your lappy is plugged in the wall, your battery might not be charging because it's broken.

nmendoza86

nmendoza86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
how do i know if my battery is dead?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..one would assume if it were plugged into the wall the battery would be irrellivant?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
So you think a laptop would work without a battery when it would be plugged into the wall?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope....i said i assumed it

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
[/QUOTE]how do I know if my battery is dead?[QUOTE]

Put it in the freezer for a few hours and put it back in your laptop. If it doesn't work then, it's dead

EDIT: this dang computer is doing weird quoting text. Sorry.

Edited by S A A B, 21 July 2005 - 07:35 AM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Usually a laptop's power goes thru the battery and then to the mobo and other devices.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right....it goes through it......but unless the battery is totaly defunct or the connections between the battery and the laptop are bad one would assume that the power would still reach the laptop even if the battery were dead....sorta the same thing as with a car with a dead batery.....the power from the alternator goes through your battery but if the battery is dead...you can still jumpstart the car

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
How can we jumpstart this laptop?