Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having Some Major Problems

• Please log in to reply

Enigma89

Enigma89

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am having a major problem with my computer and I really do not want to reformat. This is the problem...

It started when I turned my computer on and windows started to load, it sat there and did nothign but load and load doing nothing. I turned it off and turned it back on and it asked me if I wanted to start in safe mode. I said yes start in safe mode (With networking) and it started up. I restored the computer from a previous time and restarted in regular mode. The computer worked fine and when I was ready to shut down it froze on me. (It froze when I hit shut down, it just sat there with hour glass). I restarted and windows would not load up again. Somone told me to reload the kernel.dll file back onto my computer and after I did that windows will not even start up in safe mode and gives me a message about how the kernel transfer was illegal. (Will post details in about 30 minutes).

Edited by Enigma89, 21 July 2005 - 09:22 AM.

Advertisements

Enigma89

Enigma89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Also I forgot to say a few things.

-I tried to repair Windows in Dos mode, It did it stuff and said it had to restart and the setup will go on from there. The computer restarted I did not boot from cd and let it go to windows. Windows started to load again(This time the loading pulse image was GREEN instead of Blue, Pre SP2 I think?) My pc did not go further then the loading screen and just sat there.

Again I will post what operation I took to reload the kernel.dll file and what the blue screen says about the Kernel when I copy the text over from a forum where I originally posted for help.(That forum is down)

Enigma89

Enigma89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ach another thing I forgot...

Asus P4P 800 Deluxe
Radeon 9800XT
1024mb Corsair Ram
Windows XP Home
Audigy 2ZS

EDIT

Here is the Kernel.dll operation i did
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310396

Here is the text I get when trying to start in safe mode

stop: C0000269 [llegal system dll relocation] the system dll kernel32.dll was relocated in memory. the application will not run. the relocation occurred because the dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll occupied an address range reserve for windows system dlls. the vendor supplying the dll shou(Not sure if this is one word or S hou) %s %s

Edited by Enigma89, 21 July 2005 - 10:16 AM.

Enigma89

Enigma89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Guys i did a reformat the pc worked great for 3 hours and the problem came back. I cannot start windows unless its from safe mode. Help!

EDIT
I just tried if it would work again in normal windows and it froze up again. When i hit start shut down, I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it said "Sysfader Not Responding" I am assumung that is SYSTEM FADER which is that annoying thing that fades the window screen to black and white when you chose to turn it off. Any help?

Edited by Enigma89, 29 July 2005 - 10:50 PM.

squadja

squadja

• Pip
  • 1 posts
DID you ever solve the problem?? Please help me now!!!!

Distressed!!
squadja
[email protected]

Ach another thing I forgot...
Asus P4P 800 Deluxe
Radeon 9800XT
1024mb Corsair Ram
Windows XP Home
Audigy 2ZS
EDIT

Here is the Kernel.dll operation i did
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310396
Here is the text I get when trying to start in safe mode
stop: C0000269 [llegal system dll relocation] the system dll kernel32.dll was relocated in memory. the application will not run. the relocation occurred because the dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll occupied an address range reserve for windows system dlls. the vendor supplying the dll shou(Not sure if this is one word or S hou) %s %s

View Post

afrowoman

afrowoman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the exact same problem and I'm at a loss about what to do - if anyone has some advice or has solved this issue please let me know! Thanks in advance for any help! :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The only question I have is...Are these all new builds or existing systems that have suddenly gone bad?

I have seen this problem when the RAM had compatability problems with the Motherboard, but the issue usually shows up when installing the operating system...especially NT based systems such as XP. Changing brands of RAM has always resolved the issue.

wannabe1

afrowoman

afrowoman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
thanks for your reply.
My system is not new - this only happened after I installed the microsoft updates. I have the same error msg as the person above - kernel relocation etc...

No new software was installed, I tried installing windows, repairing it, formatting and reinstalling, CHKDSK /R - basically everything. I even replaced the gdi32.dll with a newer one and it still keeps rebooting

Internet User

Internet User

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had recently updated my Windows XP Home Edition computer through the WindowsUpdate site.

The updates were installed successfully. When the computer re-booted after installation. It had a new Windows XP loading screen and then it displayed a blue screen with this error message:

c0000269 Illegal system DLL relocation. The system DLL kernel32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly.

The relocation occured because the DLL c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll occupied an address reserved for windows system DLL's.

Please help me re-solve this problem!

Internet User

Internet User

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I plan to format the hard drive and re-install Windows XP on the computer. How can the problem persist if the drive is formatted? It is unlikely that any of these files are written in the 0 disk area.

I would need to update the computer after the installation--what is the code number of the update that causes this problem? Is there any means to know all the system-conflicts before download?

Thank you for the help.

Edited by Internet User, 05 December 2005 - 05:32 AM.

Advertisements

Jonaldo

Jonaldo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had same problem on 3 different systems - not hardware related I wouldn't have thought but perhaps related to downloading so many updates at once causing some sort of conflict? Machine I am using now has all critical updates installed and works fine but the updates would have been installed as and when they became available. All my systems had SP2 installed and all others who have reported this to my knowledge also had SP2 installed. Haven't yet downloaded post SP2 updates one-by-one to discover which update causes this, but in my experience, it ISN'T KB890859 which many other discussion forums suggest it is. I did clean install, downloaded all updates except this and got BSOD back. Tried many discussion forums, none seem to be able to get to bottom of this. When I've got some spare time I might d/l updates one by one and catch bad update - someone needs to get to the bottom of this! Until then, I'll just leave all post SP2 updates off.

:tazz:
If anyone who knows for sure which update is the problem could post it & can save me the job of downloading one by one to find it, I'll be grateful as I have to ring Microsoft every time to activate product now.

Once we find which update it is, solution should be to insert winxp installation cd and boot from this. Select recovery console and run batch files (ie type batch, then filename) in c:\windows\$ntuninstallKB890859$\spuninst directory (where KB890859 is replaced by offending update).

chickenblah3

chickenblah3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was having the same problem, then I digged around on microsoft.com and found this solution, and it worked. Things will be a bit screwy, and some drivers may need to be reinstalled, but other than that, nothing is lost and works perfectly.

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in your floppy disk drive or insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
3. Select the Windows XP installation in question.

Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

Note You will not be able to continue if you do not have the administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.
6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER.

Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.
7. After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER.
8. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 as the computer restarts.
Note After you restart, the system may lock up with a black screen. (Your mouse will work.) In this case, restart again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you to log on.
9. When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
c. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
e. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
f. Restart your computer
10. Use one of the previous methods to remove Windows XP SP2 from your computer.

chickenblah3

chickenblah3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Make suer to do step ten, otherwise everything is really screwy.
After I did this, I just decided screw microsoft and turned off autoupdates completely.
Been a day and its working fine.

Zaphod11

Zaphod11

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I had same problem on 3 different systems - not hardware related I wouldn't have thought but perhaps related to downloading so many updates at once causing some sort of conflict? Machine I am using now has all critical updates installed and works fine but the updates would have been installed as and when they became available. All my systems had SP2 installed and all others who have reported this to my knowledge also had SP2 installed. Haven't yet downloaded post SP2 updates one-by-one to discover which update causes this, but in my experience, it ISN'T KB890859 which many other discussion forums suggest it is. I did clean install, downloaded all updates except this and got BSOD back. Tried many discussion forums, none seem to be able to get to bottom of this. When I've got some spare time I might d/l updates one by one and catch bad update - someone needs to get to the bottom of this! Until then, I'll just leave all post SP2 updates off.

:tazz:
If anyone who knows for sure which update is the problem could post it & can save me the job of downloading one by one to find it, I'll be grateful as I have to ring Microsoft every time to activate product now.

Once we find which update it is, solution should be to insert winxp installation cd and boot from this. Select recovery console and run batch files (ie type batch, then filename) in c:\windows\$ntuninstallKB890859$\spuninst directory (where KB890859 is replaced by offending update).

Jonaldo,

I have just recovered from the same problem and thought I'd share how I fixed the system.
I had a client's machine with XP Pro SP2 beta (2096) and it had various issues that I had just corrected. However, when the current XP updates were applied (about 36-40) it restarted with the C0000269 error between kernel32.dll & gdi32.dll. After many hours of research, and finding the most helpful post here, I removed KB896424 and the error changed to a problem between user32.dll & ntdll.dll. I then removed KB890859 (I actually just restored user32.dll and Win32k.sys from the backup). The system started but explorer did not run, however I was able to run the system restore and undo the last updates and everything was good.

I tried to re-apply the updates, except KB896424, KB890859, & KB912919 (due to the fact it also replaces gdi32.dll), and then after trying to log on (with any ID) I got this error
"The System cannot log you on due to the following error:
The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect". That was resolved by using "Last Known Good Configuration" at boot up. After a few moments I was yet again able to run system restore.

After that I decided not to apply any more updates as I could not remove the beta of SP2 or apply the proper SP2 over it.

So, in short. Removing KB896424 & KB890859 (there by replacing gdi32.dll, user32.dll, & win32k.sys with files from 3/11/2004) and then launching rstrui.exe to restore the system.

Hope that this helps someone!

It would have been a really nice feature of XP if one could just run the system restore utility from the "recovery" console! (or some sort of PE boot)

Good Luck to all that need to recover from this error!

Zaphod11

Zaphod11

• Pip
  • 3 posts
One more thing,....

The error at logon, "The System cannot log you on due to the following error:
The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect" is reported to be casued by KB885835. However, I have not verified this, it is just information that I found during my search.

I didn't want to test my luck any further due to the fact it is not my system :tazz:

Just thought I'd share the info.

Edited by Zaphod11, 05 February 2006 - 04:31 AM.