Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having Some Major Problems

• Please log in to reply

agc

agc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am having the same problem, my laptop won't even boot from the CD, please HELP!!!! With details because I read through the thread and I could not follow.

thank you,
Al

Edited by agc, 26 March 2006 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

Zaphod11

Zaphod11

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I saw your post on http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=46332

and followed the steps you put up (Removing KB896424 & KB890859). I did a system restore, and now can't get the icons etc. to appear.

Did you have any problem with that? Did you only remove/batch those two updates, or others as well?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex,

That was a little while ago, glad you put the link in there so I could re-read my post. :whistling:

Well, what happened after I restored the original versions of gdi32.dll, user32.dll, & win32k.sys (dated 3/11/2004) XP booted but explorer did not run (no icons), I had to bring up the task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and run the command prompt (CMD) so I could start rstrui.exe (the system restore util found in C:\Windows\system32\Restore)

Keep in mind that just restoring the files does not restore the system's registry from that restore point. As for the batch file, all it does is restore the files (I do not remember if I used the batch or did it manually - same thing though)

Now, if you did all of the above and had a problem after doing the system restore, all I can assume is that you picked the wrong restore point. Microsoft does not make it easy to figure out which directory belongs to which restore point, so you really just have to go by the file dates. I would suggest that you look in your restore area for the updates that you pulled gdi32.dll, user32.dll, & win32k.sys out of and use the oldest of these or a restore point one older. (yet again, go by the file dates in the resore point's folder)

I basically removed KB896424 & KB890859 and possibly KB885835 (only if you get a windows logon error)

It was quite a while ago so I don't remember if I had to take out KB885835 or if I had the logon problem and just went back to the original restore point that removed the first two. (more likely the latter)

Also, keep in mind that I had this problem due to Service Pack 2 BETA along with the fact that my client did not have a windows XP cd.

So, if all else fails you can always do a repair install and apply the proper SP2 after. (if your XP disk does not have SP2 on it already)

After fixing this problem I, later on, had my client buy Windows XP Pro (as that is what was on the machine) and did a repair install. This was done because they started to have stability problems with various software. (probably due to SP2beta and various other things) Keep in mind that you must use the same version of windows to do a repair install (or you will not get the option)

I hope this answered your question :blink:

Good Luck.

(this was a reply to a private message, I've posted it here for others to read as it may be helpful)