Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC Server Error when Renewing IP Address

• Please log in to reply

sssammmy

sssammmy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I received my new Verizon DSL modem yesterday (switching fron cable modem); I installed the modem and filters and went thru the CD installation which was completed, and my account was set-up. I had access to Internet!
Then I disconnected the ethernet cable and connected it to my DLink WiFI Router (I also have a laptop at home). The connection was lost. So I reconnected the ethernet cable directly to the desktop again and tired accessing the internet...no luck.
I reset the modem, power cycled both the desktop and the modem...called verizon a number of times....but the issue is that my IP address is shown as 0.0.0.0
when I try to renew my IP address, I get the error message that the RPC server cannot be reached.

Pleeeeeeeease help.

By the way, I tired reconnecting back my cable modem which I still have and the problem is still there.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you contacted your ISP about the problem? (Internet Service Provider)

sssammmy

sssammmy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes, I have 2 isp's at the moment, verizon told me that is a virus (mytob) and I should contact msft and mcafee...comcast tols me that it is my NIC card!
They d on't know much, all they do is troubleshoot from a manual.

sssammmy

sssammmy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
one other thing on my LAN connection, the following message appears...acquiring network address.....when I try to repair the network connection, I get the message that rapair cannot be done becasue IP Address cannot be renewed.

I also tried connecting my modem via the USB cable, and have the same problem.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you connected to both ISPs at the same time? Do you have two NIC in the PC?

Comcast verifies your mac address--this is a hardware address in the NIC--before authorizing an ip address. I do not know if Verizon does.

Please describe the cable hook up---all hardware involved, before the DSL--was the router involved with the cable connection?

then describe the DSL connection and all hardware invovled.

sssammmy

sssammmy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, i am not connected to both ISPs at the same time.

Here is the histroy...

Up to last Monday, Comcast was my ISP and I used their cable modem srvice. I have a desktop and a laptop at home.
Cable modem was connected to a DLink WiFi router. Wireless communication to the laptop. Wired Ethernet to Desktop via Ethernet cable to Intel Pro/100 NIC.

Once I received my Verizon DSL modem. I disconnected the cable modem. Direct connected the DSL to my desktop, and set up my Verizon account. Could succesfully connect to internet.
At that point I connected the DSL modem to the DLink router to have the same set up as before. However my desktop could not connect to the Internet.
I removed the DLink router and direct connected to the Desktop to see if the router was the issue, but I have not been able to connect to the internet with my DSL.
The LAN connection has the "acquiring network address" message; my ip address is shown as 0.0.0.0, and I cannot renew my ip address; I get the RPC server unavailable message.
I tried connecting to internet via cable modem (with my desktop) and the problem is still there, so there is nothing wrong with my DSL connection.
I also tried connecting my laptop to internet via dsl, and it works fine.
Issue is with my desktop.....

Any help is appreciated...