Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This and that

• Please log in to reply

gigantojim

gigantojim

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Also, lol. I have another question.

I have a Sony Vaio PCV RS222, 512ram, geforce fx5200 128meg graphics card.

Is there any way of finding out if I use pc2100 ram or 2700 ( without opening the box and looking for a sticker ) - knowing my luck I would fry the thing messing with it.

When I checked on a site in the past it stated pc2100, but recently having gone to crucial.com and ran through the idiots guide for RAM type detection, it states pc2700.

ALSO, lol...If I got the geforce 6200 agp 8X will it run if mine is 4X - I dont know which mine is either.

Also when I right click on my dsktop, go to properties and go into the graphics card settings, it says that its location is "PCI Slot 6 (PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0)" - I think I have an agp card ( quite sure ) - so this is rather odd and doesnt make any sense.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Download and run EVEREST It should tell you that and a whole lot more!!

Murray

gigantojim

gigantojim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi

Thanks for the info and link, it was really helpful.

I now know that I have an AGP slot - yay - but it is only a 4X 1.5v.

Do you know if a Geforce 6200 256meg, designed to run on a 8X system will work on my 4X?

Thanks
Jim

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is the new card AGP or PCIE ?? Everything I can find on the card indicates a PCIE so, NO.. that won't work on your system unless you have a a PCI Extended slot..

Murray

gigantojim

gigantojim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.

Its an AGP card, 8X.

Regards
Jim

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It should work but will slow down to what your system can handle.. You may be better off getting an MX style card for your system..

Murray

gigantojim

gigantojim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi

Thanks for the info.

My pc was bought was an agp card installed though, a 128meg fx5200 4x, so I dont want to go backwards, lol.

Jim