Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LavaSoft Ad-Aware

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
After upgrading to the newest version (1.06r1) of Ad-Aware, I often have trouble downloading the updates for the definitions file and have to do so manually (which works fine). I get the message: "The downloaded definitions file could not be read, please update again."

This happens about 3 out of 5 times when I try to update.

Is anyone else having the same problem, or is it just my computer?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
You can try this;
navigate to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware SE - folder,
then see if there is a file named defs.ref. If there is, rename it defs.ref.old,
then see if you can update.
You can also see if it helps to delete the defs.ref file, then try to update.

- Rawe :tazz:

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
When I renamed the defs.ref file defs.ref.old and opened Ad-Aware to run the update again, but got a messages saying that an error occured and the definitions file could not be found or had been corrupted. The update tool still didn't work, displaying the same message as in the first post.

If renaming the def file had that effect, I figured something similar would result from deleting the file.

I went back and meant to change the name of the file back to defs.ref, but it no longer existed in that folder.

I downloaded the definitions from the Lavasoft website manually like I had a few times before (d/l from site, saved to temporary location, unzipped and replaced the old file with the new one under the same name in C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\As-Aware SE Personal).

Everything was back to normal then, but that still doesn't explain why the update tool doesn't work on occassion. The As-Aware help file has this explanation:

"In some circumstances, you may not be able to update the definition file by using WebUpdate. Reasons can include the server being too busy to process update requests, or proxy settings are not configured correctly in Ad-Aware."

However, I tried downloading the same update at different times during the day in the hope that server traffic has decreased, but that made no difference.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Hi again.
I'm not so good with these problems, take a look in HERE if you want expert Ad-aware help. (free Ad-aware help - really great!)
I have "worked" with the Ad-aware Expert - team on many forums, and I know they know what to do. As you may see - Ad-aware forum was discontinued here, but please take a look at the link I provided above.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! I'll check out the link asap.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
after I install adaware, tell it yes to update defs. wait for it to bring up the screen where I can configure my proxy. after that I get this error (see attachement). I hit cancel and then it brings up the next screen like it should. Don't know why it hangs there.

starjax

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Starjax, perhaps you have a firewall enabled. Also, make sure you have Show Hidden Files On. To tun it on:
1. Right Click your C: Drive in My Computer.
2.Select Tools>Folder Options on the menu bar
3. Click the View tab and select the Show Hidden Files radio button

There may be a way to manually update the defs.

Edited by MOLEXRULZ, 21 July 2005 - 02:20 PM.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
MOLEXRULZ, there is no need to show hidden files when updating defs --
Starjax, I had that same problem with one of the def files but it was gone.
I got the program updated and now it's working great for me.
Yea, it might be one reason. If you disable firewall/check that you have the firewall enabling the connection, it might work.
Though I got it updated manually - and it worked after that.

I still recommend going to the Ad-aware Support - forums :tazz:

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
If anyone is interested, I started a thread with the same question over at Castle Cops.

You can follow that thread HERE.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Hi again, CelestialTeardrop.
I knew Corrine will take that.. She'll know what to do!
Let her know what you've tried already-- and that you were referred by me ;)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts

MOLEXRULZ, there is no need to show hidden files when updating defs --
Starjax, I had that same problem with one of the def files but it was gone.
I got the program updated and now it's working great for me.
Yea, it might be one reason. If you disable firewall/check that you have the firewall enabling the connection, it might work.
Though I got it updated manually - and it worked after that.

I still recommend going to the Ad-aware Support - forums  :tazz:

View Post

thank rawe, I suspect that it has something to do with the proxy server i use. its just a bug that wasn't there int he previous version.

starjax