Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Problem ?

• Please log in to reply

RGNY

RGNY

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:

I have a cdrw drive already, and i just install a new benQ DVD dual drive. on the second ide channel, same ide ribbon as the cdrw drive. Now it sees it when it boots up, its in device manager. but when i open up my computer it does not show the drive, i see everything else but that dvd drive. But when i opend up nero, it sees it as a drive and i can burn to the dirve no problems. but it does not show up in my computer. Help me.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Most likely you just need the correct drivers for Windows to see it. Have you tried putting a dvd in and playing it?

If you got a disk with it the drivers should be on it. Otherwise go to the makers website and look around.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The DVD drive shouldn't require any special drivers for it to work in windows.

Can you tell me though :

If you go to control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk management, does the dvd combi drive appear in there? If so, has it been assigned a drive letter?

You said you've connected both optical drives to the secondary controller, have you configured them as master and slave?

Is the DVD drive detected by the bios?

RGNY

RGNY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes the drive shows up in computer management and it is assigned a drive letter

One is set to master and slave

and is shows up in bios.

Its wired i can use nero to make a dvd, but can't see it in My Computer.

RGNY

RGNY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
anyone have any insight on this problem

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
This is not an uncommon problem with XP, although there appears to be numerous reasons behind why it can happen.

First thing to check is this :

Run regedt32.exe then navigate to the following key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Look for values called UpperFilters & LowerFilters. If they exist, delete them. If they don't exist, then just exit the registry.

NB You may want to backup (export) this branch before deleteing just in case.
If they do exist & you delete them, you may find that your CD burning software no longer works correctly. If so, reinstall the software.

RGNY

RGNY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Samm, I tired that, still nothing.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, in that case you may need to run XPs recovery console & repair of windows.
You may want to hold off from doing that for a minute though, as someone else may have some suggestions as well. Also, if you do try it, back up any data you want to keep first, just in case.

RGNY

RGNY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
is this my only option (XPs recovery console & repair) to fix this problem

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No, it's not. That was all I could think of at the time though.
Heres a few more suggestions. I don't promise that any of them will work & I strongly recommend you backup everything before trying them, just in case. They are listed in no particular order, so just try whichever ones you want.

1. Try installing SP2 if you haven't already done so, plus any other relevant updates or patches. (XP is notoriously twitchy with optical drives so I wouldn't be surprised if MS have released a bug fix or two by now)

2. Download the latest driver/firmware from Benq's website. (As i said earlier, windows does not require a special driver for CD/DVD drives in order to recognise them & use them as readers, the drivers are used by the burning software. However, it may be worth a shot I guess)

3. Uninstall/reintsall (both in software & physically) one or both of the optical drives. If you do this, you ought to boot into safe mode when the drives are removed, and delete any ghost entries for them in device manager, before reinstalling the drives

4. Uninstall/reinstall the burning software

5. Run XP recovery console