Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

biulding a computer need help picking parts

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
over here it is about 40 quid more for sli and 9 times out of 10 its not worth the money probably the abit board being the exception you get a better sound card and the uguru panel as well as sli for the money. But i dont see it as good value for money as very few people are going to use sli as not many people will have the balls to risk deep sixing a pair of cards just to get it working.

Advertisements

Egorn

Egorn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Board:

I'd go with the ABit AV8 board with Guru clock (designed for overclocking). These are 939 socket, and are super value for money. Im very happy with mine, and you can find all sorts of reviews on the web.
I paid £70.00 or $125.00 for my board through ebuyer, and it has been great!!

Case:

Combined with an aluminim Thermaltake 'Tsunami Dream' case.looks lovely It also has side intake fan which is directly in line with the CPU and Heatsink/fan when you've got it all installed.(which keeps all the kit very cool) I paid £80 for mine in the UK but I've seen them in the states for $120.00. check out oxcide, stateside

http://www.xoxide.co...ermaltake2.html

I have this combined with 2GB of DDR400 RAM, AMD64 3500 (Venice) and a Nvidia Geforce 6800GT, and it runs beutifully! :tazz:

I can play half life 2, Battlefield 2, maxed out, and they run amazing. My total spec cost me £730.00 or $1250.00 odd USD, but I reckon you'll get what I've got a lot cheaper over in the US!

Best of luck and let me know how you get on!!

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hey man,

"they say the hardest part of building a new computer...is deciding the parts:P"

^so dont sweat it :tazz:

I would go with the 3200+ unless you really really want that extra power but if you even OC you should be fine and as it has already been said by warriorscot- go with san diego if you can ;)

Check out the Sonata by Antec for a great silent case!

For your motherboard check with something wit the newest chipset as well- also for ram make sure you get 2 X 512 and use the dual channel in the 939

Good Luck:D

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
nf4 ultra, i would only go for abit if i was buying a fatality it is the same price as the other nf4 ultras so you may as well, didnt get one mself because i dont like red pcb. I tolerate the gfx card because it is only small and kicks the [bleep]. I love the lanboy you cant go far wrong with any antec and a pair of 120mm fans.

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
SLI do i need it?

If i get an Sli mobo can i put 1 card in and wait to buy the 2nd.

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Should i get sound card or get in on the mobo?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No dont get SLI its not just a go out buy another card and away you go it requires you to flash BOTH cards bios to the most recent version and doing so can deep six the cards. Sound on new mobos is pretty decent especially the nf4ultras.

Egorn

Egorn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I like the way warriorscot seems to slate other peoples stuff an awful lot. So warrior, have YOU personally ever had an AV8 board go 'fatal' on you? Because I now have four mates with a very similer set up and we have all (touch wood) never encountered any problems whatsover.

Also you may want to check the various web reviews on the M/Board as it would appear that most reviews certainly praise it. As it is I think the spec of your machine, is a tad underpowered, and I personally think the Lanboy case sucks big time. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I told him not get SLi, thats not slating his kit, its not for beginners. My pc would disagree performance on this is as good as anybody i know netter than people who spent iver 3 grand on there pcs i dont waste money on non essentials. I persopnally like the superlanboy its great, however as i said before a case is a personal thing i didnt really like the case you have but i wouldnt have said it.

Now on the motherboard it is OLD it is the oldest of the 939 boards i can find made by abit. And the chipset itself isnt as good as that of the nforce 4 ultra and thats a fact. Therefore if someone asks i tend to recommend the nforce 4 abit boards like the fatility. And if i do its a discussion forum you discuss different points of an argunent/problem such is what a forum is.
He asked me if i liked my lanboy case, and yes i do its was very easy to work in as was his question.
However this guy has no kit, hes asking for reccomendations so i can hardly slate it can i unless you are going to help bog off.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
i wouldn't recommend SLi...yea i know i have an SLi board. In retrospect i think i made the wrong decision, but i figured i would spend a little extra on the mb in case things with SLi got better in the future. :tazz: Plus i don't need the extra PCI slot.

abit, asus, dfi, msi all make good gaming mobos and receive good reviews. but if u want to overclock i'd go with the DFI lanparty.

Advertisements

Egorn

Egorn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry Warriorrscott I misinterpreate what u were saying. I got the wrong end of the stick. ;)

Still thnk the lanboy case looks ugly though :tazz:

tenbroya

tenbroya

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
For the MotherBoard try the

Asus A8N SLI S939 Nvnf4sli Atx - Snd Gln 1394 U2 Fsb2000

At Ebuyer.com it is £88

It has 2xPCI-E 16x, 2xPCI-E 1x and 3xPCI slots

It has SLI support (is you want it) for running Dual nVidia Graphics Cards

Built in Gigabit LAN and Sound

This is the perfect board for me and it looks like you are in a similar situation as me. Building a brand new Comp. but also trying to keep the cost to a reasonable level.

Tenbroya

Edited by tenbroya, 29 July 2005 - 04:01 PM.

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK

I think i'v come up with what i want in each part.

Mobo-

On-bourd sound, usb, fire wire, pci-e, 939,

Case-

3 optical drive slots that slide in and out, mobo tray, 2 120mm fans, 3 hard drive slots, floppy

Gaphics card-

Duel dvi, fast

Ram-

1 GB

hard drive-

200 MB

Optical drives-

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

mouse-

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Key bourd-

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:tazz: :huh: :tazz: ;)

:) :( :wub: :woot: :hug: :(

tenbroya

tenbroya

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
How much are you willing to pay for a Graphics Card.

And i know it says ask your own questions on another topic but this is a small question that somenone could answer at the end of a post :tazz:

What does 'Deep-Sixing' your graphics card mean?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Deep sixing = DEAD. You know you need to start picking parts. Dual dvi isnt all that important also you need to check it has dual dvi monitor support some nvidia cards have two dvis but support only one monitor crazy. New cards come with the dual dvi or more commonly a dvi and a vga and poosibly svideo or compisite out, and you get a vga dvi convertor usually so its not a big factor.