Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi-Speed USB Problem

• Please log in to reply

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I am running an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ on a MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU motherboard. The motherboard comes with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 headers. I have Windows XP w/SP2 and the hi-speed USB driver installed.

Lately, when I've plugged in a hi-speed USB device into a high-speed port, the device will function, then it will disconnect (I hear the Windows sound, and the port connection light on my hub goes out) then it will re-connect (with associated sound and port connection light), then disconnect and so on in a vicious cycle.

When the problem first appeared a couple of months ago, I was plugging in the devices directly to the motherboard. To troubleshoot, I tried out a powered HP Hi-speed USB hub, and plugged in the devices without any problems. Thinking that I had a power problem all along, I purchased a Belkin Hi-Speed powered hub and haven't had any problems until recently. Only the Belkin hub is connected to the high-speed ports (I have 4 on the back of the computer). All of my other non hi-speed USB devices are plugged in USB 1.1 ports.

I have also tried removing the "NEC Enhanced USB" driver and let Windows reinstall it, but I haven't had any luck getting my devices to stay connected.

My three hi-speed USB devices are a MicroAdvantage 128MB thumb drive, a 80GB Western Digital External hard drive, and a Creative Zen Micro.

Does anyone recognize the symptoms of this problem? I've searched the forums, but I haven't found anything quite like this.

I would like to mention that after alternating in connect/disconnect cycle for a while, eventually the port seems to revert to a normal USB 1.1 port, and I get the Windows warning that a high-speed device is connected to a non-hi speed port and that I have hi-speed ports available (even though the device is directly connected to the hi-speed hub that is connected to a hi-speed port).

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
1- You have Service Pack 2 installed. . . When did you uodate. . .
Is it right after installation that trouble began??

How about any Windows update . . . .Any installed right befor Problem?

Check your BIOS setting for USB . .ADVANCED>INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS SHOULD BE: (1.1 &2.0) OR ENHANCED

How old is computer? Do you have USB Mouse and/or USB Keyboard?

Have you done any updates/expansion/repairs or cleaning inside computer, that maybe you disturbed some USB wiring?

Have the Front USB Ports been verified to work?

What model Belkin USB HUB do you have. . . Some have a (EXT - INT) switch that needs to be in "EXT" Position...

Make sure EXT POWER for USB is securely plugged in AC Outlet & in the USB HUB - sometimes they work loose when moving PC around. . .

The Window Sound. . .what do you mean ? Does this sound come on when a USB device is detected? Like maybe you USB device is lost & then detected and lost again. . . is this vicious cycle. .

Does this cycle start when you power up or disconnect your 128MB Thumb Drive? -or- when you power up or disconnect your Zen Micro?

Try to rember what events (Upgrade - repair - expansion - software updates - these events) that occurred right before problem.

Jack123

ThunderT

ThunderT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for the reply Jack123.

One thing I'd like to state first is that I tried the HP Hi-Speed USB hub again (I brought it home from work), and it worked without any issues. So my understanding is that there is either a problem with the Belkin hub or with the USB port that the Belkin hub was plugged into (either hardware or software/drivers).

I will try the Belkin hub in the same port that the HP hub is plugged in and see if the Belkin hub functions properly again.

Thanks again for your help.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Was it always a problem with the Belkin Hub . . . .after the 1st time the problem happened?

Or was it always the same port?

One of the tests for testing HUBS by the USB Standards is IN RUSH currents when plugged in hot. . . also they checking to see if device is not found before HUB is ready (Race problems). . . .

Also they check to see if a device short is not reflected back to PC

There are many specs for HUB devices that most PC users do not know of . . . .ONLY PRICE is a factor . . . .

Let know how the HP HUB does / and the USB Port. . . .Also send me the model numbers of each . .Belkin & HP . . . to keep in my reference . .

Thanks...

Usually if you have the luxury: the SHOP & COMPARE TEST is the best & quickest . . . . having a good standard is good too!!!

So there are many issues with HUBS . . a hub is not a hub . . .
There is quality differences. . . Belkin has several models themselves. .

Good Luck
Jack123

ThunderT

ThunderT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
No, it wasn't always a problem with the Belkin hub. Actually, I first started having problems when I connected the devices directly into the ports at the back of the computer. I thought maybe it was a power issue since when I connected the devices to the powered HP hub - everything worked without a problem - and at high-speed too (since I finally isolated the non hi-speed devices from the 4 hi-speed ports).

I've had the Belkin hub working before for several weeks, but for the past month or so I haven't really used any hi-speed devices and it was only when I was making an image of my HDD this week that I noticed any problems with the hi-speed connections.

I will get you the model numbers of the two hubs, and I will post how things go when I connect the Belkin hub to a different hi-speed USB port at the back of the computer.

ThunderT

ThunderT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Just as a follow up. I'm still having some problems with the Belkin Hub. I haven't seemed to have any problems with the HP hub. I haven't had much time to investigate unfortunately (the weather is too nice).

The Belkin model is the model number FSU234.The HP hub has kit number DG954A/DM866A. They're both hi-speed USB 2.0 4-port powered hubs. To really test things out, I should try out the Belkin hub with my notebook at work and see if I have any problems. Once I test it out, I'll post it here.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I would like to have P/N and Current Rating of Power Unit for each device. Found some bad reviews for the Belkin F5U234 . . . . which Pretty much say it is not RELIABLE. I do not understand why Belkin has so many models.

Only found good reviews for HP . . . none with any technical meaning.

It sounds like the F5U234 may be breaking into oscillations / Like it is starting to current limiting on inrush current and begins this cycling on/off bit. Can you get a timing of the Windows sound?

It could also be the fault of the Power Unit. Are you using the same USB cables with the Belkin & HP? If it is oscillating, then the cable impedance could have an effect on the oscillations – as well as placement and Temp.

Also try cascading the 2 units. This would change the characteristics enough to prevent oscillations. You will have 4 combinations:
1- Belkin 1st & HP 2nd with device on Belkin
2- Belkin 1st & HP 2nd with device on HP
3- HP 1st & Belkin 2nd with device on HP
4- HP 1st & Belkin 2nd with device on Belkin

I’ll compile this info & get on the USB Compliance Website & inquire & post these findings.

Have a good day & thanks for info,
Jack123

Here are reviews:

(1st) The worst USB Hub ever made
by iwhitey,Oct 19 '04
Pros: None whatsoever
Cons: Doesn't work
I can't really fully describe what a hunk of crap this thing is. This is the second one I've owned because I returned the first one. They both have the same problem - they just don't work right.

It's very frustrating when you want to use a USB device like your camera or printer and you can't because the computer doesn't recognize it. The computer can't recognize it because the hub isn't seeing it at all.

I know it's not the devices because when I plug them into another hub or USB port on the computer, they work. The funny thing is, sometimes the hub will go for days working correctly, then it will recognize some devices and not others, but not always the same devices.

The bottom line is that this is just an unreliable and overpriced piece of junk. Buy the Tripp-Lite U202-004-R USB Hub instead, that one is as solid as they come.

(2nd) Nope, doesn't work.
by jpease ,Jul 16 '05
Pros: Small and sexy package.
Cons: Doesn't function at all.
After several days of troubleshooting, it appears as though my usb connectivity problems are based on the fact that this hub doesn't work. At all. It isn't recognized by any of the usb ports on my computer as anything. When I plug devices directly into my CPU, they work fine.

I know that this is probably just a defective unit, but it's still frustrating. YMMV, but I'm stuck with a broken hub.

Edited by Jack123, 23 July 2005 - 08:25 PM.