Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE suddnly runs slow with a possible low GDI level

• Please log in to reply

Sprout100

Sprout100

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am struggling with an intermitant slowdown of IE. I have noticed that sometimes the tasks runnning flaggs up a low GDI resource.
I especially have a problem when using outlook and downloading messages.

I am running Win 98Se, Office 2000, McAfee internet security, on a 1.8 Athalon with 512 Ram, I have run Spyware Doctor, and removed any items it suggests with no improvement.
My connection is through NTL broadband 1meg, through a wired lyksys wirles G Broadband router.

Wireless PCs running on the router, do not slow down or hang.

When the page download slows I monitor the tasks running and the CPU seems to be idle, with no other programs showing as using the CPU.

If any assistance is forth coming I would be greatful, I am nearly at the stage of "binning" the PC and starting new.

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
McAfee is a resource hog by nature.
IE 6 and OE are insecure and I do not advise their use.
If I were you I would switch to Mozilla Suite or if you are like me and like the stand alone mail client use Mozillas FireFox browser and Thunderbird email client. According to the specs you gave you sound like you know your way around abit. Check out Mozilla HERE.
Check them out and read some unbiased reviews then try them, add some extensions and a theme next thing you know you will forget all about IE and most definately will never use OE again. Just my 2 cents.