Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will somebody please help me?

• Please log in to reply

countrymouse

countrymouse

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Windows XP. My internet is via Direcway satellite. I need to use an FTP server for my job as I am a medical transcripitonist at night. My FTP server will not let me upload files. I have tried everything. I have even downloaded free software for other FTP servers and no dice. I believe that somehow my satellite connection is to blame as I took my computer for repair and it behaved perfectly while it was out of the house. I am ready to pull my hair out in frustration. If I can't use an FTP server, I can't work. I have spoken with Direcway and they say "not their problem". If anyone out there has any suggestions, I am more than willing to listen. HELP!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Questions, questions? I presume you're working at home and sending your reports to the job. Where is the server located? What servers and clients have your used, are you trying to use? What kind of firewall, routers, etc. are involved? That will supply enough information to start sorting things out.

countrymouse

countrymouse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I will have to look a lot of this stuff up when I get home. I am using core ftp and trying to load my medical transcription files. It usually lets me download without a problem, but I can't upload. My internet is provided by Direcway satellite. I'll get back to you tonight. Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When they tested it at the computer shop, did they use core ftp?

Or did they test it with a command line ftp....did they specifically test your ftp server, or any ftp server?

do this

start > run
cmd
<enter>

at the prompt, type

netsh diag connect iphost {name of ftp server} 21
<enter>

what results?

countrymouse

countrymouse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay. I'm home now. "Technician" was my son who is in the business. He says this has him stumped. When I typed the command into "run", nothing happened. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if it doesn't work, I don't work. Sometimes I get an error message saying that "file is in use". Any more suggestions? I am tempted to purchase an ftp program that has 24/7 support so that I don't get left hanging.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hello, finally getting back to you. Here is a very simple to configure FTP server that I have used and highly reccomend. The "pro" version can handle 20, or more connections, but after 30 days reverts to the free version which can handle only 2 at a time.

www.ftpshell.com

The server needs to be placed at your worksite and the client at your home. That's because the server has only two states, running or not, but the client has many controls. The server needs to be on all the times you need access. You can configure it for "simple ftp" with a username/password for protection. You can also use more elaborate protections but I reccomend the simple first. You need to allow the server.exe access through any firewalls at the server site. I highly suspect your problems are firewall related. You may also need to "port forward" the server through any routers or firewalls on the server side. Someone will need access to the routers "home page" to do that.

If your files aren't too large you may be able to use the Internet Explorer FTP client without any serious problems. Then you won't have to worry about configuring your windows firewall.

One more thing, your server computer has to have a fixed IP, or at least you have to know the IP anytime you want to access it.

Hope this helps you.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
cmd
<enter>

nothing happened?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are the files youre trying to send open at the time of transfer? did you just save it right before trying to transfer? what type of files?

Edited by dsenette, 26 July 2005 - 08:30 AM.