Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a hard drive...

• Please log in to reply

asdf543

asdf543

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just got a new computer but I want to get some information form my old computer on the new one. My old computer is in bad shape, I can't even turn it one any more. So is there anyway I could take the hard drive of the old one and put it on the new one?

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Do you have any experience doing this?

Hate to ask but its a need to know thing :tazz:

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope. No experence with this stuff.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
What version of windows is on the "old" computer?

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My old computer is ME and the new one is XP.

pc upgrades

pc upgrades

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just transferd an old hard drive to a new biuld and ita worked fine, after taking some advice from this forun all i did was to set the old hard drive as a slave and it booted fine

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok some else at a different fourm mentioned the slave thing. COuld someone explain what that is?

pc upgrades

pc upgrades

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
there is a selection of jumpers on the back of the hard drive and somewhere on your hard drive it will tell you how to set your hard drive as a slave

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't see and thing like that on my hard drive.

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I figured out how to put it in slave mode but now what am I spoused to do?

Advertisements

pc upgrades

pc upgrades

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Whatn you need to is install it into your pc in line with your other harddrive , your windows should pick it up as a second hard drive.

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well the only thing that can connect to the new comp is already connected, its a plug with 4 wires, but nothing happened. the other wire I have that connects to my Hard drive can't connect any where on my computer.

Also the part that I switched to slave mode doesn't have anything to plug into it.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
What you want to do is really not that complicated. It seems "scary" the first time you do it but it's not that bad. I can't remember where I saw it - I can be a rabid online researcher as I try to become familiar with something before starting a new task - but online I found a place that had photos to show what was needed/meant.

The hard drive (HD) has two connecting wires - the power wires (3 or 4 kinda together) and the information wires (ribbon wires/cable). In the case everything is usually REALLY cramped! From the HD the ribbon wire should have a connector at the end and in the middle. Sometimes they might not, in which case you'll need to buy a new one with the two connectors.

The slave to master mode - usually there is a diagram on the HD that shows how to move the jumpers to make it slave or master. They are TINY little plugs - I also found that image online somewhere - that make that designation.

I'm just adding a little information. RESEARCH your HD manufactorers site, Google your HD brand name - there is a TON of information out there. I don't know of many that will "hold your hand" through the process. Learning a little before you get to a site like this will help A LOT! In my humble opinion.

The question is - do you want to spend that much time trying to learn and figure this out yourself? If not, well - if you don't have a knowledgable friend you might just have to pay the Geek Squad or someone else.

I just wanted to throw this at you. I hope it helps at least a little.

[email protected]

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well like I already said I have it in slave mode, I just don't know what to do now.

I've looked around a little, which is how I found out how to get it into salve mode that isn't said on the HD itself. But I didn't look for any thing else so i'll try that first. Do you remember any of the sites you mentioned?

EDIT: Ok this is the site where I found out how to set it to slave mode. What should I ook under here?

http://www.maxtor.co...51dfe29dd10a191
346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Product%20Support/ATA%20Hard%20Drives
/Desktop/DiamondMax%2040%20VL%20Ultra%20ATA%20100

Edited by asdf543, 03 August 2005 - 06:34 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I believe what they were trying to earlier say is that your new hard drive (HD) (set to Master) is to go on the end of the ribbon cable. The older HD is set to slave and plugged into the middle of that ribbon cable. When started up the computer should run off the new HD. When the system is up and running you should be able to go to something like My Computer and see all the drives online - including the old drive. You should then be able to access the old drive and copy over the files to the new drive.

That much I understand. I just don't understand why my old HD takes over and I can't see the Master!!

Just sign me - still learning!
bamakodaker