Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a hard drive...

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
You can find a LOT of help - Google - installing hard drive

Good luck,
bamakodaker

Advertisements

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My ribbon cable doesnt have a middle plug ont to it.

Also do I need to plug anything on to my mother board? Because nothing can fit on it.

EDIT: Do the drives need to be of the same make?

Edited by asdf543, 03 August 2005 - 07:24 PM.

asdf543

asdf543

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok forget that looking around I'm pretty sure I can't get this towork with out buying something.

So heres a new question. Is there any other way I can just get infromation from the hard drive?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I don't remember where you are with your drive. Sorry I didn't write sooner, I've been researching probably the same thing you need. I can't open up two IE windows so I can't tell you where to go. Just do a Google search. You want to know how to install a hard drive, type that in - minus the how to. The first five or more links were VERY relative! LOTS of info! I've been cruising that for the last hour I guess!

You don't have to have the same brand HD's. I just opened up my new HD and it comes with a new ribbon cable, and it has three connectors on it. One end plugs to the mother board, the end goes to the Master drive while the middle connection is for the Slave. If you don't have that type cable, you'll need to buy one. Any local repair shop will probably be able to sell you one. They most likely will not give ANY information. Your old HD had a ribbon cable that went from the HD to the mother board. If that "old" ribbon fits your new HD, take that ribbon to the local computer shop and tell them you need one just like that but with a connector in the middle. You might take your hard drives in case they won't to check their connections.

Your new HD should come with informative guide book. You should also be able to get help from the manufacturers site. - - if you're willing to put the time in.

Best of luck,
bamakodaker

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Get information from the hard drive - new or old? I'll guess you mean old. I hear that once the new/master is cleared and installed with new software, the old/slave is supposed to show up and you can copy files over to the new HD.

IF the old HD will work. That's where I am. Trying to setup the new HD and see if I can copy data over. If the slave/old HD won't show up I'm going to try some data recovery software. Don't know which software to work with yet. Haven't gotten that far!

bamakodaker