Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatible Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I just purchased Dazzle 90 and Pinnacle Studio Plus. Requirements are for DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card. My computer has a VIA/3SG Unichrome IGP Chip and Memory of 64mb.

Is this a compatible graphics card?

Thanks!

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

A couple of quick questions to help narrow down which card this is:

1) Is this an on-board video card for your motherboard?
2) Which motherboard do you have? Model and number would be great

If it is on-board VIA video (which it sounds like), it is NOT Directx 9 compatible. Here is a link to a FAQ page from the VIA website with a quick discussion about the onboard video cards VIA web page.

Hope that helps and sorry it is not DirectX 9 compatible. There are a number of affordable budget video cards that you could take a look at if interested. Let me know if you want any recommendations (just need to know if you have an AGP or PCI-express graphics slot)

Cheers,
Tom

I just purchased Dazzle 90 and Pinnacle Studio Plus.  Requirements are for DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card.  My computer has a VIA/3SG Unichrome IGP Chip and Memory of 64mb. 

Is this a compatible graphics card?

Thanks!

View Post

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
VIA only makes onboard chips. And they are not very powerful. I would suggest buying a newer card like a geforce 5200 which is great for video editing and is directx compatible

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks for the info!

As you can probably tell by the question I'm a computer technology challenged person. I have added a hard drive to this computer. Is changing out changed out a video card something I could do or do I need to have this done by someone that knows what they are doing?

Thanks again for your help.
--Jay

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Tom,
Thanks for the response!

The motherboard on this computer (Compact Presario SR1000Z) is model KELUTGL6E. Card is on-board. Your inexpensive upgrade recommendations are welcome. I was told for video get AGP compatible card and for audio get PCI compatibles.

If any of this response doesn't make sense, I apologize. I'm just repeating info I got from a script reader overseas.

--Jay

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hey Jay,

No worries about the help, video card shopping is notoriously difficult with many different options, chipsets, companies, etc. I picked out 3 different budget cards (low, med, high) for you take a look at and all are DirectX 9 compatible. I have included the link to the video card on the www.newegg.com website. They are the best place (in my opinion) on the net to order computer hardware and I buy almost 100% of my stuff from there. Enough jabbering, onto the cards!

1) Low price range
$44.00
XFX PV-T34K-NT Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
This is a good entry budget card and should work well for light gaming and applications (as mentioned in a prev post). I choose this one from the bunch since it had many good reviews

2) Mid price range
$65.00
CHAINTECH SA5500T2 Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
Another good card and features the next step up in the Geforce line. Features DVI input for LCD flat panel monitors. Again good for moderate gaming and applications.

3) High price range
$76.00
SAPPHIRE ATLANTIS RADEON 9600 Radeon 9600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
Great budget card (and the one I run in my desktop :^). Good for almost all gaming, running Doom 3 full speed and reports of Half Life 2 running full as well from the reviews. So a great card for gaming and application use. As newer games come out, they are more demanding of the video card but this appears to be adequate for the near future and more than enough if you are not big into gaming.

Hope that helps the decision!

Also, installing a video card is quite easy. I will look for a link to a tutorial with pictures, but it basically just involves inserting a long tab into the AGP port. When the card comes, you can post and I can provide more detailed install info.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,
Thanks for the response! 

The motherboard on this computer (Compact Presario SR1000Z) is model KELUTGL6E.  Card is on-board.  Your inexpensive upgrade recommendations are welcome.  I was told for video get AGP compatible card and for audio get PCI compatibles.

If any of this response doesn't make sense, I apologize.  I'm just repeating info I got from a script reader overseas.

--Jay

View Post