Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Optical mouse with PS2

• Please log in to reply

eusjma

eusjma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I apologize if this has been discussed before.

I have a Microsoft optical USB mouse P/N X09-17032. I am trying to use it with a 2 port KVM switch that has PS2 connectors. The mouse does not appear to receive any power when I plug it into the USB/PS2 adapter (connected to KVM), nor does it work at all. If I plug the mouse directly into the USB port on the PC it works perfectly.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal? Can a mouse be designed for USB only and not work with an adapter?

Thanks for any input

Edited by eusjma, 21 July 2005 - 07:17 PM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I have had this happen to me before. I was using a Microsoft USB mouse and trying to plug it into a USB/PS2 adapter, and it didn't work. So I think your out of luck, unless you can find an optical mouse that runs via PS2 (I know they exists, I have one). But before you go out and buy another mouse you might as well try finding an old PS2 mouse (if you have one, or borrow a friends) and try plugging in that to the KVM switch just to make sure that the KVM switch is working properly. You might also try plugging in the USB mouse to the adapter and then plugging the adapter into directly into the PS2 port on the computer, (this will see if the adapter even works!)

--Chris

eusjma

eusjma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply. The KVM does work - I am using it now with a PS2 mouse, was just changing to the new mouse. Good idea to try the USB mouse and adapter directly into the PC. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks again

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
No problem, glad I could help you out!

--Chris

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: HYBRID MICE (USB/PS2 Mouse)
Date: 22 July – 2005

Hybrid Mice are those designed to plug into 2 types of Ports. There are (2 ) TYPES of Hybrids:
1- (USB or PS2) : The primary connector is generally a “hardwired” USB connector with
an adapter to PS2
2- (Serial or PS2): The primary connector is a “hardwired” serial connector, which is now
generally a (–9 pin DIN) or (older –25 pin ) with an adapter to PS2.

The mouse that is usually boxed in with a system, generally is either a USB or Serial or a PS2 mouse – NOT A HYBRID. The addition of a PS2 adapter does not make it a hybrid. The designed circuitry that detects the type of port which, it is connected to & automatically configures the mouse – make it a Hybrid.

The Hybrid mouse will state on the bottom of the mouse USB and PS2 Compatible or Serial / PS2 Compatible. The Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 is a Hybrid Mouse. The rule of thumb is if the mouse did not come with a PS2 Adapter – It probably is not a Hybrid and will not work if NOT connected to the “hardwire” connector’s “native” port.

Keyboards will follow the same rule, but they have different / additional considerations and issues.

Another problem with, USB Mice & Keyboards are, they may not be functional until an USB-aware operating system is loaded. (Win-98-SE – Windows Me – XP – 2000 etc.) They may not function when running DOS; diagnostic software and could have difficulty Posting – “Legacy USB Support”/ BIOS Support is needed/required.

This will be another Topic: >>>for another post<<<<perhaps Keyboard issues>>>>>

Hope this sheds some light on mouse issue,
Jack123

eusjma

eusjma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks - that's great information. My mouse does just say USB Compatible on the bottom so I guess that's the problem.

Thanks Again - no more time wasted.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Excellent description by Jack123. If ever they make a locked forum with permanent help topics that one certainly belongs in it.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: HYBRID MICE (USB/PS2 Mouse)
Date: 23 July – 2005

Thanks Tyger!

eusima: It’s not wasted time whenever someone is helped. This is my style:
1- I ask a lot of questions to point the Poster in the right direction or
2- Supply information to point the Poster in the right direction

I find it difficult to give step by step directions to solve these problems. . . . I like for you to solve your own problem . . . or answer your own question. . . . .I am just a guide. . . .and a student of problems . . .

My best advice is not what to do . . . .but what NOT to do. . . . .

Have a good day!
Jack123