Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware deleted WININET.dll file now no desktop

• Please log in to reply

Helithemis

Helithemis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm new here, but have read a bunch of posts from various users. I acquired the Anti Gold spyware that deleted has caused my computer numerous problems. I have been reading a bunch of posts and have tried several things, but I can't get anywhere.

The biggest problem is that Explorer doesn't load, and the warning stating that WININET.dll is missing pops up, it suggests replacing it, Great idea, but how?!! I can bring up the task manager with ctrl+alt+del, but that's all I can figure out how to do, and bringing up the add/remove programs. I tried deleting sp2 from ADD/REMOVE programs, but it states that it cannot due to and error.

I have 2 pc's, one desktop and an AVERATEC 2600 notebook. The notebook running xp sp2 is the troubled one. I have downloaded several programs and files that were stated to use in many posts onto this one(desktop), burned them on a cd to use on the infected notebook. I do not know how to run anything on that one without having the start menu up. I did try running the Ad-aware se, that is already on it from the run prompt in task manager, but the WININET.dll error pops up and shuts it down immediatly. I tried the smitRem, Run this.Bat, and after it runs before the disk cleanup I get my desktop back for like 15 seconds before WININET.dll error. and blank screen again freezing the disk cleanup.

I don't have HJT on that pc yet, or know if I can put it on when it is in that state. Any help would be appreciated, I don't know what else to type, so let me know anything that you need to know.

The notebook doesn't have a restore feature just a full recovery set of disks. The Averatec tech said that is all I could do to solve the problem is a full recovery. I have several very important pics that I can't lose, so that is why I'm looking for an alternative.

Thank you very much

Ben

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Do u have the dump for SP2? i.e. is this folder present
"C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386".

If yes, or if u dont know follow the steps below:
1) Open Task Manager. Click on Applications Tab. Now on th menu bar, File->New Task(Run). Type cmd. Press Enter

2) In the cmd window, type the following and press enter after each line:
cd\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
copy wininet.dll c:\windows\system32

3) Reboot ur PC from task manger.

Edited by darth_ash, 22 July 2005 - 02:34 AM.

Helithemis

Helithemis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just got back from work and tried what you suggested. I now have desktop icons, for a bit until Windows security's balloon pops up saying I don't have an anti-virus program (I deleted it to reinstall it). when the balloon pops up, I get an error window saying that "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"... then the screen blanks, then refreshes quick and starts the process over and over ever time I click the Don't send error report.

Ben

I was able to run an Ad-aware scan in the background while all this was going on and removed 118 items.

Edited by Helithemis, 22 July 2005 - 05:07 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/

Johanna